Apple wood.

Apple_Tree

Hi,

I’m wondering if anyone would be interested in the Apple wood that we have?  The tree was taken down a few months ago after it succumbed to honey fungus.  The lowest trunk piece has rotting bark and some mould growth and I’m not sure if this is connected to the honey fungus - maybe this piece should be burnt although the wood still seems solid?  My (probably wrong) understanding on honey fungus is that it attacks the roots and trunk at ground level so I’m hoping the rest of the wood is still useable?

I’ve numbered the logs in the pictures and done some rough measurements.

It would be nice to receive something for them as it would help fund an eventual replacement but we’re open to offers/suggestions.

Logs are in the GU12 post code (North Hampshire/West Surrey border).

Thanks.

1 - Length 47cm. Diameter 44cm to 36cm. (Very heavy).

2 - Length 47cm. Diameter 42cm to 36cm. (Very heavy).  This is the lowest trunk piece with the rotting bark - not sure if its useable.  Included a picture of some of the mould.

3 - Length 55cm. Length to crotch 35cm. Diameter 30cm.

4 - Length 70cm. Length to crotch 39cm. Diameter 27cm.

5 - Length 40cm. Diameter roughly 20cm. (Has some Medo painted on 2 ends)

6 - Length 90cm. Diameter 16cm.

7 - Length 120cm. Diameter 20cm.

8 - Length 130cm. Diameter 16cm to 18cm.

9 - 55cm wide.  20cm tall in the middle.  Much thinner at sides.

10 - Length 115cm. Diameter 16cm to 18cm

IMG_20190114_145808_798.jpg

IMG_20190114_145928_742.jpg

IMG_20190114_150017_339.jpg

IMG_20190114_150040_652.jpg

IMG_20190114_150132_681.jpg

IMG_20190114_150218_087.jpg

IMG_20190114_150300_579.jpg

IMG_20190114_150338_979.jpg

IMG_20190114_150422_748.jpg

IMG_20190114_150518_097.jpg

IMG_20190114_150547_389.jpg

Edited by Apple_Tree

For the bigger bits you could speak to a local woodturning club but don't expect money for them green.  If you want money for them you could make woodturning blanks yourself, dry them slowly for three years and sell them.

Similar re the smaller pieces... firewood I'm afraid and given away unless you dry them and can find the limited market for small woodturning blanks (pen blanks for example).

I can't see money in those logs I'm afraid:  trust me I've tried the woodturner thing and failed. The hobbyists just won't buy green stuff, the professionals will but they're selective about their purchases.

It would actually be nice for someone follow up on this post and shoot me down in flames; I could live with being wrong on this occasion!

• Thanks 1

I get at least 2-3 calls a year about apple trees.
Yes it is good after milling and drying for years, but not many people want to invest £400 in milling and a large space in the garage for several years before a return.
And the possibility it moulds or warps or gets eaten by worm.

To flip the coin,
Phone a few timber merchants/yards and get a quote on apple wood planks.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

• Thanks 1

Just to give an idea of value, I bought three apple tree trunks from a large orchard being cleared of mature apple trees a few years ago. They were 4 feet long and 20 to 22 inches diameter. Biggest lumps of apple I'd ever seen. The tree surgeon asked for £20 each which I thought was a reasonable figure. Milled and now seasoned after being stored for a few years, the planks are stunning. No idea what they would now be worth, but I should also mention that it was a 900 mile round trip to collect these. So the transportation and milling far exceeded the initial cost and so even at £20 each, it would not have been a profitable venture if I'd been intending to sell the timber......! 

Andrew

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the information everyone.  Much appreciated and at least now we know it can be given away/burnt and we won't be parting with a fortune. ?

20 hours ago, nepia said:

For the bigger bits you could speak to a local woodturning club

Having asked our local woodturners association, they were not interested and cited the honey fungus as the reason for not passing on the information to their members.  Darn honey fungus.  We had no intention of removing the tree until the fungus killed it off.

I don't think I really expected to get anything for the wood.  It seemed worth asking after seeing a seller on eBay selling chunks of Apple wood.  For example - 292916147921, 292947335085 and a sold piece here -
303045404339.  Given what you've all said, aren't those prices a bit mad for relatively small chunks that have only been "seasoned" for a year or so?  Makes me wonder how much they make from them by the time they've paid the postage and eBay fees.

As someone who occasionally sells a few pieces of 3 - 6 yr seasoned wood turning blanks on eBay, I can testify that it’s not going to make a fortune unless very rare and or interesting shape, colours, grain etc. A lot of the cost of some of those apple pieces listed will also be the shipping. Quite dear for heavier lumps!

• Thanks 1