occupational health of arb

westphalian

It certainly be a bit of a rollercoaster, jobs that your dreading, windy big poplars etc, can feel pretty unpleasant, then whistling away with a big grin chogging down the stem

I think we have the best deal now bill .. I find work actually brings things back if feeling stressed , I can pick and choose who I work with now and when, back a few years and being a team leader and doing street trees and dealing with the general public and a crew of lads for ten years , I left the industry seriously pissed off , stressed and full of anxiety .. for about a week I tried other jobs , I missed the buzz of climbing but had no intention of baby sitting idiots and dealing with the general public again, so was back climbing in a month for a smaller firm and six months later full time subbing and my own work.

I think now the only time I feel 100% is up a tree or fishing , had this dirty thing on Friday that was splitting and hung up in the walnut next to it , not a lot holding it up.

IMG_8239.thumb.jpg.a76b5f9f67a53431b3a1ac1aa20d39f0.jpgIMG_8251.thumb.jpg.af15793fced37be02339706e5f45ae76.jpgwhen I first started that sort of tree would of given me nightmares, passing some one I didn’t really want to see on the way to the to the job filled me with more dread and anxiety and an overwhelming sense of pressure than doing this tree that I had not felt for a while and that I didnt need but as soon as an anchor was bagged I felt at peace and enjoyed the rest of the day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MattyF said:

If this thread is based on occupational health of an arborist I would say there is a risk of a production climbers getting mental health issues , I’ve worked and seen lads who can not cope with there work loads , it is stressful having to push your self as far as you can and fast and then some more to do trees no others would touch or in awkward situations all the time... I’m not on about farting about dead wood Prince Charles oak trees or some other non hazard no issue task with all the time in the world but I think you end up like captain Willard in apocalypse now .. all you can think about is getting out there and when your there all you can think about is coming home ... I have worked with a lot of lads and my self at points for in life with drink and drugs issues to cope with that... it’s not healthy living off adrenaline... maybe that sounds a bit Like blowing smoke up my arse but I think there are hazards to health with too much Adrenaline for your immune system and body and to the mental health..

A Dr friend of mine says ( when I explained how pumped I was after a long day tree climbing ) constant high levels of adrenaline can produce a adverse effect psychologically. Risk taking in other areas of yr life etc, k

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skyhuck said:

Complacency is a big danger. You do things a few thousand times and think you have it nailed.

Week before last I cocked up pretty bad, but could have been way worse.

I'm off just now recovering and having a good think about how I'm going change the way I work. I do too much cutting and holding, use my saw with which ever hand suits, etc. But we all make mistakes from time to time. Lesson learned?. 25 years of climbing, never cut myself, until the other day.

Apart from anything else my long-suffering wife would kill me if I do it again ?

Heal quick fella .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just don’t let booze be a coping mechanism (or drugs and food for that matter)

I was never one for exercise for exercise sake but when I discovered rock climbing I was all of a sudden, a health fanatic.

Arthritis stopped that about 10 years ago (I should have continued with hindsight cos the positives far outweighed the negatives)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Khriss said:

A Dr friend of mine says ( when I explained how pumped I was after a long day tree climbing ) constant high levels of adrenaline can produce a adverse effect psychologically. Risk taking in other areas of yr life etc, k

My risk taking hobby is chasing fascists at counter demonstrations, that confirms your doctors point.