occupational health of arb

westphalian

1 minute ago, Mark2 said:

I ’d be interested to hear peoples indervidual coping mechanism’s ? I had a load !

for me the most important one is, always listen to your body’s red warning lights, it will tell you when to slowdown or speed up.

Unfortunately I didn't listen the red warning lights and nearly lost the use of my legs through ignoring chronic back pain and prioritizing money of body so foolish 5 weeks into a new mind set and way of living ! pilates on a Monday night never thought I would do anything other than lift weights in my spare time I have also decided to trim down I have always wanted to be as strong as possible but it's just not a good thing going into later life 5 minute of prevention is better than a hour of cure 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, bigtreedon said:

Unfortunately I didn't listen the red warning lights and nearly lost the use of my legs through ignoring chronic back pain and prioritizing money of body so foolish 5 weeks into a new mind set and way of living ! pilates on a Monday night never thought I would do anything other than lift weights in my spare time I have also decided to trim down I have always wanted to be as strong as possible but it's just not a good thing going into later life 5 minute of prevention is better than a hour of cure 

Wow you just nailed it ,

I’ just come through a year of 9 bouts of bad back!

I was planning to keep climbing! But my back said no. 

Really sad about it. I’m not one to give up, we just have to adapt. Fruit trees and teaching from now on. But always stay positive! With good positive people around you.

9 minutes ago, Mark2 said:

Wow you just nailed it ,

I’ just come through a year of 9 bouts of bad back!

I was planning to keep climbing! But my back said no. 

Really sad about it. I’m not one to give up, we just have to adapt. Fruit trees and teaching from now on. But always stay positive! With good positive people around you.

If you don't mind me asking have you been told not to climb or decided on your own ? I have been told that I will be able to climb again buy the medical boffins I am pain free now but am scared to go back to the place I was 

Thanks for asking ! I haven’t been told not to climb, but it didn’t work ! One days climbing = two weeks sheer agony but hey 50 years climbing ! My cups half full, a new and exciting chapter to look forward to. Also psychologically, I found I was getting blind to the danger. I had no fear of it. That worried me, i’v heard  Mountaineers say that’s the time to stop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mark2 said:

Thanks for asking ! I haven’t been told not to climb, but it didn’t work ! One days climbing = two weeks sheer agony but hey 50 years climbing ! My cups half full, a new and exciting chapter to look forward to. Also psychologically, I found I was getting blind to the danger. I had no fear of it. That worried me, i’v heard  Mountaineers say that’s the time to stop.

Well hopefully I've a few more years left I've only 22years climbing ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigtreedon said:

Well hopefully I've a few more years left I've only 22years climbing ?

I’m told all these new gadgets can make a big difference !

At about 17 I decided to speacilise in tree work, little knowing what a vast field of work that covers ! There’s room here for everyone of every physical and mental ability- - - If we look after nature nature will look after us.

13 minutes ago, Mark2 said:

My cups half full, a new and exciting chapter to look forward to. Also psychologically, I found I was getting blind to the danger. I had no fear of it. That worried me, i’v heard  Mountaineers say that’s the time to stop.

Complacency is a big danger. You do things a few thousand times and think you have it nailed.

Week before last I cocked up pretty bad, but could have been way worse.

I'm off just now recovering and having a good think about how I'm going change the way I work. I do too much cutting and holding, use my saw with which ever hand suits, etc. But we all make mistakes from time to time. Lesson learned?. 25 years of climbing, never cut myself, until the other day.

Apart from anything else my long-suffering wife would kill me if I do it again ?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, MattyF said:

I find climbing actually sorts my back out like Pilates... it’s moving timber and machines that fecks it... forestry hand stacking destroys it !

Word!!

Give me a day up the tree over a day dragging and humping timber every time!!

• Thanks 1

Back to mental health !

Ever noticed - - when your happy and enjoying yourself the day seems to go by twice as quick ?

And if your unhappy ( row with the misses, under priced job, crap team) the day seems to drag by. Every minute seems like an hour !

i always made sure we had a bloody good laugh !!

Edited by Mark2