occupational health of arb

westphalian

I think the problem is that those of us that don't suffer find it pretty much impossible to really understand conditions such as depression.

I get down from time to time, I worry quite a bit, but I just think whatever my worry is through to worse case scenario and plan what I would do, count my blessings and I'm fine. But depression is not like that, I guess many of us will never know how it actually feels, we are the lucky ones.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

You'll do well to drive it home Jack, unless folk or someone close to them have suffered mental health problems they just will not get it. when I was suffering I'd sweat it out and then go and front things out, that's all it was, a front, hoping the conversation would end so I could "escape", what I was trying to escape from is beyond me, and I was the one in the hot seat! Try explaining that to someone who's never been there.

I have never suffered with it myself but I lost my grandad who raised me to mental health drank himself daft until pneumonia killed him and also my parents suffer really badly with PTSD & Bipolar and my partner has emotionally unstable personality disorder and a lot of folk just say that mental health is a myth but years ago the myth was that the world had a big drop at the end of the ocean and until it was explored everyone believed it but then once it was explored it was revealed that the world is a sphere and doesn't drop off that's the same case with mental health people don't believe it exists until a close one suffers and that's when people start to believe!

far far too many lives are lost due to mental health and if there was just that bit more support the world would be a nicer place for everyone 

Jack 

Edited by Jwoodgardenmaintenance
Me being a clout head with spelling
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chessa said:

It is important that we make a distinction between "mental health" and mental ill health.

My own outlook is to look for how one can nurture health in general (without separating mental from physical - as I believe these are so frequently interdependent); and to try to understand ill health in order to help those who are suffering.

Like so many others, I speak from experience.

I'm learning all about this now as I'm a in training mental health support worker still got lots more Colledge work to be done but the more I am learning the more I am starting to understand about the struggles of day to day life I'm starting to work with 2 people next week or 2 one of them suffers with severe anxiety and uses gardening as a coping strategy and also starting to work with someone who suffers with schizophrenia so looking forward to meeting them and working with them to achieve there full potential of life ☺ I find it all really Interesting and can't wait to start helping 

Jack 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Chessa said:

It is important that we make a distinction between "mental health" and mental ill health.

My own outlook is to look for how one can nurture health in general (without separating mental from physical - as I believe these are so frequently interdependent); and to try to understand ill health in order to help those who are suffering.

Like so many others, I speak from experience.

Sorry  to interupt   you young lady ...  but youve  just reminded me  to drop two of my most  akward clients .   They pay well and  ...most likely mean well . Although  they always  ask for the impossible . Oak tree in half and make it round ?.......

Im  at a stage in life  when  I kinda  want  a  bit  of slack ....

I live in the area I work ...... 

Out for a coffee  ,  and some random person will ask for a price  for someting or other ?

No escape  for me lass .......

I,d happily put some  of  my customers through the chipper ......    

Joking ...... 

Edited by White Noise
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

If this thread is based on occupational health of an arborist I would say there is a risk of a production climbers getting mental health issues , I’ve worked and seen lads who can not cope with there work loads , it is stressful having to push your self as far as you can and fast and then some more to do trees no others would touch or in awkward situations all the time... I’m not on about farting about dead wood Prince Charles oak trees or some other non hazard no issue task with all the time in the world but I think you end up like captain Willard in apocalypse now .. all you can think about is getting out there and when your there all you can think about is coming home ... I have worked with a lot of lads and my self at points for in life with drink and drugs issues to cope with that... it’s not healthy living off adrenaline... maybe that sounds a bit Like blowing smoke up my arse but I think there are hazards to health with too much Adrenaline for your immune system and body and to the mental health..

• Thanks 3

If this thread is based on occupational health of an arborist I would say there is a risk of a production climbers getting mental health issues , I’ve worked and seen lads who can not cope with there work loads , it is stressful having to push your self as far as you can and fast and then some more to do trees no others would touch or in awkward situations all the time... I’m not on about farting about dead wood Prince Charles oak trees or some other non hazard no issue task with all the time in the world but I think you end up like captain Willard in apocalypse now .. all you can think about is getting out there and when your there all you can think about is coming home ... I have worked with a lot of lads and my self at points for in life with drink and drugs issues to cope with that... it’s not healthy living off adrenaline... maybe that sounds a bit Like blowing smoke up my arse but I think there are hazards to health with too much Adrenaline for your immune system and body and to the mental health..
Unfortunately I couldn't agree with you more matty I have spent years wanting to do the biggest hardest trees I could I always pressured myself to want to be as fast as possible I loved it the buzz of it is very hard to satisfy with anything else I haven't drank for ten years ut when I did it was always to an extreme I have that sort of personality
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ’d be interested to hear peoples indervidual coping mechanism’s ? I had a load !

for me the most important one is, always listen to your body’s red warning lights, it will tell you when to slowdown or speed up.or even chainge what your doing !!

Edited by Mark2