occupational health of arb

westphalian

31 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

In your first paragraph you criticise those who suggest others should man up and get on, in your second paragraph you suggest immigrants should pretty much man up and get on.................................

oh, i get it now, didn't before. must have a blind spot for immigrants

In your first paragraph you criticise those who suggest others should man up and get on, in your second paragraph you suggest immigrants should pretty much man up and get on.................................
I'm not sure that they are contradictory, one paragraph depicts the impossibility of being unable to run away from ones inner issues that wage war within the mind, the other is a physical action that does not defer to the issues of mental state but that takes flight against physical harm which is choice based ultimately.
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

A difficult subject...would it be fair to say that we are talking about two different things? 

1. Genuine mental/emotional distress

2. Narcissistic self absorption.

The problem as I see it is all this is subjective, since we cannot really ever know what it is like to be in someone else's mind...however, there must be some objective factors we can look at and agree on, to favour one category or the other. For instance, when a person who has a history of being a self-centred, entitled so-and-so (like many celebrities) complains they have some sort of mental illness, one is inclined to think its band-wagon stuff. They may actually be suffering, but maybe their suffering is a result of being chronically out of touch with reality and self-centred, that is to say, their distress is a result of their own narcissism?

spot on. you are wasted in arboriculture.

do you think that's what the 2 papers were trying to say?

1. arborists can suffer genuine stress.

2. off shore workers can be self absorbed narcissists?

Edited by westphalian
  • Like 1

A difficult subject...would it be fair to say that we are talking about two different things? 

The problem as I see it is all this is subjective, since we cannot really ever know what it is like to be in someone else's mind...however, there must be some objective factors we can look at and agree on, to favour one category or the other. For instance, when a person who has a history of being a self-centred, entitled so-and-so (like many celebrities) complains they have some sort of mental illness, one is inclined to think its band-wagon stuff. They may actually be suffering, but maybe their suffering is a result of being chronically out of touch with reality and self-centred, that is to say, their distress is a result of their own narcissism?

I get what ya mean, and yeah its often crossed my mind about folk, makes you think.... [emoji849] for christ sake man up!!!..., but then you have partners, friends, family, that enter in to a “suffering state” (good choice of words hairy) and you brutish “man up spiel” changes somewhat. Seeing people close to you suffering is sad and gets you thinking a bit, its human nature.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

That’s a lot of what I alluded to, thank you.

Of course every person that feigns mental illness to get a free pass, or, if they’re a sleb, sell a new book or tv show, is insulting and diminishing those who really suffer. 

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 2

i am a half pint full man and have always seen a positive in everything. if i can suffer from depression at the age of 52 then any fecker can.

Eggs, did they test you for Lyme disease?

they must have tested you for Weils disease as you spend your time in shitty water???

Edited by westphalian

There is so many forms of mental health like depression there is bipolar / emotionally unstable personality disorder / schizophrenia / anxiety / post traumatic stress disorder / anorexia for a few examples there are so many examples and I do agree with the celebrities and there mental health as I think that most of their drug abuse / bad habits are excused with mental health and use it as a get out of jail free card 

• Like 2