Heated grips Husqvarna

Khriss

SUCCESS!!

I pulled it all apart and realised I had been fooled by the ground to think that there was continuity in the circuit. The circuit was broken in the front handle. There was a tiny crack in the heat-foil. I opened it and added some solder, and now it works perfectly. Although with no wrap on the front handle - it will probably be fine with some hockey-tape around it while i look for a replacement front handle.

In the closeup, you can just barely see the crack in the bottom lead in the middle of the picture.

The picture with heat-camera was after only about a minute of idle.

Thanks for your help in solving my mystery of the missing heat.

APBIAZ%hQ8eJeNf1FOxmEA.jpg

kOZLXjJURfGOU1n1Z4eTrw.jpg

FLIR0339.jpg

FLIR0338.jpg

• Like 4

On 19/08/2021 at 21:20, KJC said:

SUCCESS!!

I pulled it all apart and realised I had been fooled by the ground to think that there was continuity in the circuit. The circuit was broken in the front handle. There was a tiny crack in the heat-foil. I opened it and added some solder, and now it works perfectly. Although with no wrap on the front handle - it will probably be fine with some hockey-tape around it while i look for a replacement front handle.

In the closeup, you can just barely see the crack in the bottom lead in the middle of the picture.

FLIR0339.jpg

FLIR0338.jpg

Tenacity at its best ! 👍

😄 only looking for the satisfaction of fixing something old and good.

Next project is a 242XPG also with weak or non functioning heated handles. Now I should be better prepared to identify the issue with this one.

(the Flir was borrowed 😉)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/08/2021 at 19:50, spudulike said:

It would be expensive.....

Flywheel With Magnetic ring on the back)

Generator

Wiring loom

Top handle

Rear handle Pads

Switch

It is dooable, just damn expensive!

image.thumb.png.7b52ec570a3462c2960ac4d2b0843cc6.png

Thanks for this.. Do you have part numbers as well by any chance? In NZ you cannot get XPG's just XP's and I do fancy heated handles on one of my saws.. 

• 2 weeks later...

FYI

I fixed the heating of the 242XPG and also a 254G, and they both had the same problem. Around 35 years buildup of dirt in the rear handle had made the connections there bad. So a good clean of the rear handle fixed both (combined with replacing some wires cut by previous owners).

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, KJC said:

FYI

I fixed the heating of the 242XPG and also a 254G, and they both had the same problem. Around 35 years buildup of dirt in the rear handle had made the connections there bad. So a good clean of the rear handle fixed both (combined with replacing some wires cut by previous owners).

Yr the ' Hot Fingers ' guru now !  Send em over to Moose fr a good polish n yr quids in :) K

On 05/09/2021 at 09:03, Arran Turner said:

Thanks for this.. Do you have part numbers as well by any chance? In NZ you cannot get XPG's just XP's and I do fancy heated handles on one of my saws.. 

Just Google the saw model with "IPL" after it and take the part codes off the document. On Husqys, the heated handles and components are usually listed near the end of the document.

IPL=illustrated parts list BTW!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 19/08/2021 at 22:20, KJC said:

SUCCESS!!

FLIR0339.jpg

FLIR0338.jpg

Hello.

Could you please help me what was the final, working wiring diagram? 
I have a 246 G. It only has one wire from the generator (it is not broken)

Thank you!!

IMG_2123.jpeg