Heated grips Husqvarna

Khriss

So the latest addition to the family. A 266, to take me back to my forestry days. This saw design is certainly the dogs bollocks in big conifer stands. Ebay provided me ( with a fucking long drive ) with it fr a dirty cheap price, cleaning n checking it over , it has heated grips ! Now, what are the fail point or problems @Stubby an @spudulike cos I think you will know an are spares still possible?  Cheers, K

Nothing much to go wrong with the heater system, generator behind the flywheel sens power to the under side of the top handle ( so never push two saws together with bars chains through the handles) into the heater element, back down and to the r/h heater pad, through the fixing screw to the l/h heater pad and up to the switch ( some had a thermostat rather than a switch, the whole system needs continuity, so any breaks and no heating, make sure the pas fixing screw is painted or you will get a shock in wet conditions

• Thanks 1

As ADW says, get the multi meter out and check for continuity. You may find someone has fitted a non generator flywheel or the magnet has detonated - also possible that the handle or tank have been swapped out, just check for the wiring going in to the handles and for the generator - if it isn't there, you don't have heated handles.

• Thanks 1

Ta, Spud, I don't think the guy even knew it had a heater on it as the lil micro switch was stuck OFF. But also, yes to the generator coil, thou saw realy hasn't been touched cos AV mounts are jiggered. Will take exhaust box off to check piston skirt too whilst is in bits.  So  not complaining fr 266 fr 100squid. K

• 1 year later...
54 minutes ago, Khriss said:

@Liam hughes  I switch mine off after 20m ins as it's too warm , gloves on , k

I have never measured the temperature but the handles get warm within a bout 30 seconds. I'd guess about 40C

They're a godsend when you have wet gloves  and you are cutting for the chipper but I too don't keep them on very long when working hard.

• Like 1