Rattly husky 61

bettybobbymeggie

Afternoon all,

I checked the bar plate - it was bent but was not the cause of the noise. Thanks for the tip though!

Stripped down the saw and could see the bearing cage missing on the clutch side as suggested by spud (thanks!) - this came to pieces as I split the crankcase. The crank looks in good shape other than a bit of scoring on one lobe where it has contacted the case (hence the noise). Now waiting for the new bearings to arrive (will change the oil seals and swap the piston too). I have the gasket set which I have had for at least ten years so hoping it will be in good enough shape with the help of a spot of wellseal!

Thanks for the tips so far - any other gotcha's?

Cheeers,

Jake.

• Like 1

A few things to remember on re build, make sure the drive side bearing is in far enough or when you fit and tighten the oil pump it will bow due to bottoming out on the bearing , this will lock the pump shaft, be careful re fitting the pump as the step in the crank will catch the seal and roll the spring out, make sure the o ring on the pump, and the flywheel side seal carrier are in good condition, grease well when re assembling, the crank seal in the pump should stand proud out the back by the chambered seal edge of the seal, do not push in flush or the pump drive gear ans washer will rub on the seal.

Thanks Spud - I have seen worse but I have realised I don't have the right replacement piston anyway (48mm vs 52mm?) so I may as well buy the set. Gonna have to go Chinese though - budget won't stretch to what will just be a hobby saw.

Edit: only just read ADW's post - thanks for all the tips - I will need to re-read all that once the bits arrive!

Edited by bettybobbymeggie

I will think about the Meteor kit, but at £20 for the chinesebay I think I have decided already. Sorry, I am a tight@rse.

Looking at ADW's advice above, would it make sense to tap the bearings into position on the crank and then assemble the case around that? That way I know the bearings are in the right position. Or am I missing something?

Don't forget to check all the other things that may or may not have caused the piston to become scored . It might be because the bearing cage collapsed but it might be there was an air leek making it run lean . It would be a shame to rebuild it only for it to  nip up and have a lean seize ...

• Like 1