Rattly husky 61

bettybobbymeggie

The bearings must be fully onto the crank, however it's about where the bearings sit in the crankcase, there are special tools that make sure they are in the correct place, it is important so as the pump does not ride on the bearing as the pump will will bow when the three fixing screws are tightened down, without the tool you will have to measure the depth of the rear of the pump where it fits into the crankcase, then ensure there is sufficent space for it not to touch the bearing, if I get five minutes I will measure the the depth of the tool.

If you look at the original fitment of the bearing in the case, you should be able to tell how far the bearing needs to be pushed in to the cases. You could use a set of verniers to measure the critical measurements.

It may be an issue but if you are aware of it and have the confidence to do this sort of repair then you should be OK.

11 hours ago, woody paul said:

You could also take pictures before removing old bearings for reference want give measurements but you will see what they were like. 

D'oh - too late for me now. Thankfully I have a working identical model 61 so I should be OK to take that as a guide. Thanks for all the tips - I will let you know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Finally got my hands on the parts for the saw and it was warm in the shed so got everything back together. The main issue is, as predicted above, the position of the crank without special tools. I pressed the bearings into each half of the crank but then as I went to reassemble the case with the crank in place I could see the bearings move out as I pressed the crank case together. Am I ok to make minor adjustments at this stage (i.e. tap the bearings back into place) or do I need to  split the crank and start again?

Thanks for your patience!

Sorry you lost me someware, once the bearings are pressed onto the crank they should be a good interferece fit and not move, if they are lose on the crank you have an issue, are you heating the cases to fit the bearings into the cases?

I know what I have done wrong and it was really stupid. I pressed the bearings into each half of the crack case but then instead of pressing against the bearings to press the two halves onto the crack shaft I instead pressed the case itself together - meaning the bearings have now shifted from their earlier position. Stupidly I even ran the thing before realising my stupidity...I am about to strip down the top end to gauge the damage from my stupidity.

**EDIT** Ignore this. Checked the way I had the press set up and it was correctly aligned with the bearings and wasn't pressing the case - must have been dreaming when I wrote the post earlier. Checked the saw over and it is fine - crank is bob on central. Getting old!

Edited by bettybobbymeggie