Rattly husky 61

bettybobbymeggie

Evening all,

This is my first post on this forum. I have an old Husky 61 (c.1987) that starts and runs but it is noisy - the usual clatter you get on tickover from the clutch with the brake off is normal for this saw but with the brake on it tick's over quietly. The noise I don't like comes at full throttle and sounds rough.

I have removed the cylinder and piston which was lightly scored and will be replaced. I am doubtful this is the source of the noise which I think is lower down. The crank itself has no play at all and the needle bearing feels good. The only thing I noticed is if I turn it over by hand (piston off so just moving the crank shaft with my fingers on the piston rod - clutch and flywheel still in place) I can hear the ball bearings clicking into place - are these not quite tightly packed?

I have a second 61 (c.1986) which runs sweet and is actually the saw I did my Lantra training with. I was wondering if it would be an idea if I swapped the top end and piston to see if that eliminated the noise?

Apologies for the stupid questions, any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks,

Jake.

sounds like a bearing cage has collapsed - surprising it didn't take out the cylinder. Simplest way of finding out is to pull the seals and look but you will only see anything if the seal is a large one. The flywheel side one is mounted in a mounting plate, I think the other one may be in the oil pump!

Better than stripping the bottom end.

1 hour ago, peatff said:

Why would you strip a perfectly good saw to try to fix an old clunker ?

I was just going to do it to diagnose the problem but it sounds like the bearings are shot so I will skip that.

56 minutes ago, spudulike said:

sounds like a bearing cage has collapsed - surprising it didn't take out the cylinder. Simplest way of finding out is to pull the seals and look but you will only see anything if the seal is a large one. The flywheel side one is mounted in a mounting plate, I think the other one may be in the oil pump!

Better than stripping the bottom end.

Good tips, thanks. I'll have a look tomorrow.

44 minutes ago, woody paul said:

Is it with chain moving or stationery. 

Moving.

Thanks for the help!

Spud is quite correct the drive side seal is in the pump housing, turning the crank with the flywheel connected you will feel a lumpiness as it passes the ignition unit, could this be what you are feeling? the bearings are just 6205s and woul.d require splitting the cases.