Wildlife Ranger applications

ERD

ERD, 

Use the links below to have a browse through the Civil Service guides, the first will give you all the information you will need to fill in the competency questions. The second one will provide a bit more detailed information on what each competency means, use this to structure your answers. Where possible try and build your response with a method like STAR.

Situation

Task

Action (when talking about the action you carried out, try and use I instead of we as they want to understand what you did).  

Results (Try and think about the results you achieved, did you save money, time or reduce the effort to do something? If you can list a figure i.e. you saved the company X amount of pounds, or achieved a reduction in X man hours, all the better. But remember the result can be anything just try and quantify it).   

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/717275/CS_Behaviours_2018.pdf 

If you want I can PM you some of the competency responses I've previously sent in, although bear in mind I didn't get a job? 

1 hour ago, jmac said:

Why do the fc make everything so fecking complicated? They are the same with the tender documents, you don't actually have to be any good at the job just good at filling in pointless paperwork! OK rant over ?

With so many people after jobs like this I've always assumed it's to cut the workload of the selectors in one fell swoop; if you fail to score well on the paperwork you're not called to interview. It's much the same with tenders. Of course it means the people selected are good at paperwork and interviews, which may not be a good skill-set for a ranger.

Like stevejnr I never managed to get a job I wrote in for (mind I never applied till I was 58).

Working with the government at any level seems much too full of bs paperwork, box ticking and red tape to actually be enjoyable. I'd imagine that doing this as an employee would be much the same... though I could be saying that out of spite as I am one of the approximately one billion people denied a job with them ?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently applied for a FC job and found it very difficult to describe how I demonstrated a particular behaviour using only 250 words. I felt by the time I thinned my example out, it lost a lot of it's impact. Some points were also a bit mystifying - "you must have one of the following: chainsaw certificate, ATV certificate......" Describe how you have the above - in 250 words!! Bar explaining you attended a course, passed the final assessment and gained the certificate, what more could you say.

The feedback I got was that my applicaton was scored a 4 on a scale of 0 to 7 where 7 is the best; 4 was deemed acceptable.

• Like 1