Braid on braid prussik

Blueleaf

Hi all, 

This is my first post. I'm not a beginner climber. I haven't found this type of post already on here but if it's already been discussed please delete this.

To get to it.. I've spotted a new hank of 8mm English braids polyester braid on braid with 20kn breaking strain. I'm curious has anyone tried using this type of cord on drt or srt systems. Is it safe and resistant enough to heat and abrasion to be a reliable and useful prussik source. 

30 meters of it at £30 is hard to pass up for enough prussik cords to last me a long while lol

Thanks in advance and please no hate mail responses. I'm only here to share and learn.

TIA!

Hey thanks for all the responses there guys... Yeah I've tried ocean polyester, new England, Yale and silver streak to name a few.. 

The tree stuff Sounds like a nice idea but Mr Squirrel had a point.. I know it's relatively cheap to buy but I end up sticking one on each lanyard, one on my dmm captain another on a hitchclimber and then its always nice to mess around with fancy adjustable spider leg's by sticking on two prussiks to adjust your center point nice and handy... Throw in a progressive mechanic advantage hauling system and its easy to start chomping through meters lol.. ok, I do accept there'll be very slow wear on a lot of those systems but I saw that English braids Also make rigging ropes etc specifically for arborist application and was curious somebody out there may have already been using their pre-streched braid on braid for friction hitches.. but like Matty f and mr squirrel were saying about fast wearing I might leave it off without anybodies actual review of using it for the specified purpose..

Thanks again!

Hey thanks for all the responses there guys... Yeah I've tried ocean polyester, new England, Yale and silver streak to name a few.. 

The tree stuff Sounds like a nice idea but Mr Squirrel had a point.. I know it's relatively cheap to buy but I end up sticking one on each lanyard, one on my dmm captain another on a hitchclimber and then its always nice to mess around with fancy adjustable spider leg's by sticking on two prussiks to adjust your center point nice and handy... Throw in a progressive mechanic advantage hauling system and its easy to start chomping through meters lol.. ok, I do accept there'll be very slow wear on a lot of those systems but I saw that English braids Also make rigging ropes etc specifically for arborist application and was curious somebody out there may have already been using their pre-streched braid on braid for friction hitches.. but like Matty f and mr squirrel were saying about fast wearing I might leave it off without anybodies actual review of using it for the specified purpose..

Thanks again!

So just to update.. I just got off the phone with English braid's who have convinced of the suitability of their braid on braid for prussik and friction hitch use. I'm gonna go ahead and try out the 8 and 10 mm. if anyone on here is interested to see how I get on with it I'm happy to post in the next few months so you can make your own opinions in the future.

Cheers

• Like 1

To be fair I was thinking main climbing line hitch. For things like lanyard, throwing hook, spider leg balancer etc. you aren't using them as you might a main climbing line, bombing out of trees and the likes. Probably be alright for that I'd say...

I was remembering someone I met who bought a dynamic climbing rope super cheap to chop up and use for hitch cord. He ended up changing prussiks so often though that he got sick of it, started buying regular hitch cord and never finished the dynamic rope...