Jump to content
Andyk

Starting out

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I’m looking to start up my own tree surgery business probably next year and I’m just after a bit of advice.

 

1 - I’ve got experience with a saw but want to do the relevant courses for climbing and using a saw up a tree. What specific courses should I look at and are there any others I should do?

 

2 - Do I get a chipper? I’ve potentially got somewhere I could keep it but do I just hire one when I need it? 

 

3 - What vehicle, pickup tipper or van tipper? A pickup would be more suitable for parking at home and I’d need it to be my everyday car. How much more can you fit in a van tipper than a single cab pickup tipper?

 

Many other suggestions?

Thanks in advance, more questions will probably follow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Andyk said:

Hi all,

I’m looking to start up my own tree surgery business probably next year and I’m just after a bit of advice.

 

1 - I’ve got experience with a saw but want to do the relevant courses for climbing and using a saw up a tree. What specific courses should I look at and are there any others I should do?

Courses are self explanatory but you’d be better working for someone else PT and yourself PT to build up your experience, reputation and workflow. When working for yourself know your limits. 

13 minutes ago, Andyk said:

 

2 - Do I get a chipper? I’ve potentially got somewhere I could keep it but do I just hire one when I need it? 

Yes you’ll need it most days even if you plan on hedgecutting. It also gives you a package to offer other firms ie tipper chipper and 2 men for £xyz

13 minutes ago, Andyk said:

 

3 - What vehicle, pickup tipper or van tipper? A pickup would be more suitable for parking at home and I’d need it to be my everyday car. How much more can you fit in a van tipper than a single cab pickup tipper?

Vehicles are different for everyone but the smaller the chip box the more time is spent tipping off and not on the job I have a 3.5 ton van with 1.2 ton pay load and a small van for quoting and knocking around in, May have to swap that soon for a 4x4. 

13 minutes ago, Andyk said:

 

Many other suggestions?

Thanks in advance, more questions will probably follow

Find what works for you and grow change your kit to suit your needs. Don’t be afraid to do other things I.e subby your services, hedge cutting and maybe a bit of maintenance if you can get it as initially you won’t have the reputation to do picture perfect trees everyday and advertising will only get you so much. 

 

Good luck I wish you well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give it a miss, you need experience in what you do before you go it alone, then it can still be hard going.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks WesD

I've got a couple of people I can work with and plan on offering other services. All food for thought. 

 

59 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Give it a miss, you need experience in what you do before you go it alone, then it can still be hard going.

How will I get experience if I give it a miss??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Andyk said:

Thanks WesD

I've got a couple of people I can work with and plan on offering other services. All food for thought. 

 

How will I get experience if I give it a miss??

You'll gain experience by working for a company, wether that be a small crew or a big outfit. Rushing in starting your own firm with no 'hands on' experience is for the brave, or stupid.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a bit of tree knowledge would be more valuable than saw tickets if you want to go it alone. Imagine pricing and you couldn't name the trees, or suggest how and when to prune, or what would be best for the tree, and better for the client in the years to come. Tree knowledge and biology is very important and learning how and why to prune properly. Good luck 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

You'll gain experience by working for a company, wether that be a small crew or a big outfit. Rushing in starting your own firm with no 'hands on' experience is for the brave, or stupid.

 

 

I'm not sure which one of those you think I am?

 

...but you are right, far better to gain experience at someone else's expense and if the experienced crew don't succeed in making you avoid breakages at least the boss pays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Husqvarna King said:

I think a bit of tree knowledge would be more valuable than saw tickets if you want to go it alone. Imagine pricing and you couldn't name the trees, or suggest how and when to prune, or what would be best for the tree, and better for the client in the years to come. Tree knowledge and biology is very important and learning how and why to prune properly. Good luck 👍

Pretty good with general tree knowledge and ID. I currently work at nursery specialising in specimen trees and shrubs with a “architectural” nature, natural and trained. It also gives me a place for queries and to dump all the rubbish. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should add I’m not planning on going straight into it. I intend on going part time for a year or so in my current job and going from there

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

 

 

I'm not sure which one of those you think I am?

 

...but you are right, far better to gain experience at someone else's expense and if the experienced crew don't succeed in making you avoid breakages at least the boss pays.

It think you are a smart fella. Gamble, go for it, but if you get it wrong you're on your own to get it sorted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.