Rock exotica akimbo

Clicky

On 27/12/2019 at 02:29, Hessel Johannes Hartmans said:

What rope do you run the Akimbo on and Why did you chose that specific rope?
Did you test any other ropes as well?

Samson Voyager,  it's pretty static and has a good hand, yes I have climbed with a few different ropes with the Akimbo, Marlow Vega, NE Tachyon ect.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve tried quite a few now, on and off ‘the list’

TE xstatic

cougar blue, non CE one (much better, different core)

cousin atrax 

cousin the other 11mm kermantle one

TE Tachyon, quite worn

Petzl, the latest one

and it performs on them all, it’s been so wet and dirty since I got it that working in that has become the norm.

Cousin Atrax is my fav, bloody good rope that, cheap too. There’s less changing settings with the atrax than the rest. 

Bit of a unicorn device, there are no unicorns! But yeah, climbed most other hardware. It’s good, really good. There is some little points for your bridge on DRT. 

but yeah, can climb up on a single line and jump straight onto a double line, on a different rope, without fucking about.

thats my 50 pence worth anyway. Atrax v good 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2020 at 19:20, Old Mill Tree Care said:

It’s been a while since contributions were made on this thread.
How are people getting on with the Akimbo and which rope is turning out to be the favourite?
Also, is the Akimbo ok in doubled rope configuration or is it purely an SRT device?
Thanks

I would really like to know to, my long lasting well serving rope wrench got lost on a job rush to pack away after thinning a large ash tree im gutted had it since isc first released them 

• Sad 1

On 25/11/2020 at 19:20, Old Mill Tree Care said:

It’s been a while since contributions were made on this thread.
How are people getting on with the Akimbo and which rope is turning out to be the favourite?
Also, is the Akimbo ok in doubled rope configuration or is it purely an SRT device?
Thanks

Couldn't wait for a reply so ive ordered one and some drenaline, I'll let you know how it goes 

Ive got loads of types of ropes to test it on asell 

I've been using an Akimbo for a while with a drenaline...

Mixed reviews from me I think.
I like it but it has some significant flaws.

-the comfort in the hand is not great, not a major problem but can be uncomfortable if you need to pull it hard

-the major thing I dislike about it is it's not consistent at all on wet/dry/damp ropes. It can go from working well to shit very quickly. And need adjusting. Which leads to another problem..

-i need to run mine on the minimal friction setting on both adjustments when the ropes is dry. So when the ropes wet and It locks on I have no means of reducing friction further. Mainly resulting in it being pretty useless in the rain and I go back to the rope wrench.

So would I recommend it? Probably not.
I'm looking towards that new rope runner next which I've heard does not suffer with the wet rope syndrome

It has converted me to mechanical mid line detachable devises though. Nice and compact and less faff to put on and off to a wrench. Maybe the akimbo mk2 may be better if that's ever a thing

Has anyone found similar?

• Sad 1

On 05/12/2020 at 04:39, mtt.tr said:

Couldn't wait for a reply so ive ordered one and some drenaline, I'll let you know how it goes 

Ive got loads of types of ropes to test it on asell 

My prediction: you’re gonna like the device and hate the Drenaline. 
You will probably hate the device on any brand new rope. 
I got mine with a new piece of Xstatic and hated the whole setup. Then put the Akimbo on an older, well used piece of Xstatic and the difference was remarkable. 
Just putting new ropes through the washing machine helps a lot.