Rock exotica akimbo

Clicky

• 10 months later...
On 27/12/2019 at 12:12, C.Stevens said:

A prusik is adjustable ?. Hitch climber set ups are VERY adjustable? That seems a terrible reason. Probably ARB politics again emoji849.png

Shhh ? don’t want the Arb police looking.

Technically its not, if I buy a CE climb and tie it as shown in the comprehensive instructions there is no other way to configure or adjust it.

in that set-up it’s achieved CE certification as a complete system and conforms to EU regulation (EU) 2016/425 for personal protective equipment against fall from a height and ANSI Z133-2017 for arboricultural operations.

So essentially it conforms to most standards around the world.

The Akimbo can be adjusted by the end user to fit a variety of ropes and adjust friction to suit. This would not satisfy the criteria for European approval.

Read into it what you will, it’s not Arb politics it just life in the EU zone, for all industries... Let’s leave the politics there shall we.

• Like 1

Shhh ? don’t want the Arb police looking.

Technically its not, if I buy a CE climb and tie it as shown in the comprehensive instructions there is no other way to configure or adjust it.
in that set-up it’s achieved CE certification as a complete system and conforms to EU regulation (EU) 2016/425 for personal protective equipment against fall from a height and ANSI Z133-2017 for arboricultural operations.

So essentially it conforms to most standards around the world.

The Akimbo can be adjusted by the end user to fit a variety of ropes and adjust friction to suit. This would not satisfy the criteria for European approval.

Read into it what you will, it’s not Arb politics it just life in the EU zone, for all industries... Let’s leave the politics there shall we.

I never knew you had to use their specified hitch in the CE climb. Interesting. I guess you replace the hitch cord with the exact same when required and it should never affect its performance.

33 minutes ago, Jake Andrews said:

I never knew you had to use their specified hitch in the CE climb. Interesting. I guess you replace the hitch cord with the exact same when required and it should never affect its performance.

Yes, the user instructions go into pretty clear detail on replacement of the hitch cord tied as a 4/4 VT which is what it would of been tested to, so to maintain conformity...

As the competent person... a role I hate as I now have to stifle innovation and what i consider good practice and professionalism.

It used to be that I was happy to LOLER and deem for for purpose any product that confirmed to ANSI, and that configuration by suitably competent persons of their own PPE to their own requirements to allow them to achieve safe, efficient crown movement And positioning.

Unfortunately I was considered a maverick ? and basically told no this is not permitted, make your climbers conform.

So the uncomfortable conversation was had with the group of arborists working for us(some with 25 years of active climbing experience to the highest level) that no you can’t climb on that! 
We went through their kit bags and essentially said whilst working here you are not permitted to climb on that PPE.

Trying to talk to very competent climbers who do not fall out of trees, who have made this their professional passion was hard.

To be fair though, all complied and adopted CE approved complete systems.

And now just before Xmas I had to sit down again with the team (and the guy working on the icop...) and tell them they now need to consider two rope working, I have a real uphill battle with this...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Tommy_B said:

I'm not a fan of the new tending point on the Akimbo. The old shackle looks much better 

It was, but it was also a potential load bearing attachment point by mistake or poor configuration. The new one is intentionally retarded.

41 minutes ago, Marc said:

It was, but it was also a potential load bearing attachment point by mistake or poor configuration. The new one is intentionally retarded.

I was used to the runner and wrench with a hitchclimber, couldn't get on with sitting back when ascending and the chest harness popping out. 

I appreciate this could be more of a problem with me than the device ?