3.5 ton plant trailer for 2.6 ton digger and other duties...

benedmonds

On 09/02/2019 at 08:17, donnk said:

lightest trailer than can take a full 3 ton payload legally is the Indespension Alumax. 

580kg naked. Lovely to tow as well.

http://www.indespension.co.uk/home/2124-alumax-lightweight-plant-trailer.html#

Lol its slightly off putting when the makers dont actually know how trailer weights work.

Plated at 3500kg MLPM

Unladen 580kg

Does not leave a payload of 2920kg

As you correctly spotted the nose weight becomes part of the vehicles weight so the trailer could be loaded to say 3600kg with a 100kg nose weight.

Giving a real pay load of 3020kg.

2 hours ago, Justme said:

Lol its slightly off putting when the makers dont actually know how trailer weights work.

Plated at 3500kg MLPM

Unladen 580kg

Does not leave a payload of 2920kg

As you correctly spotted the nose weight becomes part of the vehicles weight so the trailer could be loaded to say 3600kg with a 100kg nose weight.

Giving a real pay load of 3020kg.

Try that tack when you get pulled by vosa, see if they agree!

1 hour ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Try that tack when you get pulled by vosa, see if they agree!

They do.

Its how artic's work.

Its called an applied load.

About 1/3rd of the weight in the artic trailer is actually applied to the vehicle.

Also the same for mini artic in C1E class & mini artic / goose neck trailers in class BE.

You can have a goosneck / 5th wheel set up on a pick up & the payload on the pick up is used for the applied load / nose weight. So the trailer disconnected might be as much as 5000kg. Yet its plated to 3500kg as 1500kg is applied to the pick up.

If stopped you get weighed "as is".

Once coupled up you are now one vehicle.

The total weight & all axle weight limits will be checked.

Edited by Justme
spelling

How did they weigh your nose weight?

If not at the exact height you car ball sat at the real weight was wrong.

Nose weight within limits yes.

Measured nose weight in a stop?

Not unless it looks crazy overloaded in its own right. Normally by the rear vehicle axle limit being over loaded.

total weight is just that TOTAL.

Its a fact that nose weight is an applied load & part of the towing vehicles weight not the trailer weight.

1 hour ago, Justme said:

How did they weigh your nose weight?

If not at the exact height you car ball sat at the real weight was wrong.

Nose weight within limits yes.

Measured nose weight in a stop?

Not unless it looks crazy overloaded in its own right. Normally by the rear vehicle axle limit being over loaded.

total weight is just that TOTAL.

Its a fact that nose weight is an applied load & part of the towing vehicles weight not the trailer weight.

I guess they were checking if trailer was more than 3.5 tonnes. They dont know the rules themselves half the time, as i proved to them when they tried to nick me for having no tacho!

7 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

I guess they were checking if trailer was more than 3.5 tonnes. They dont know the rules themselves half the time, as i proved to them when they tried to nick me for having no tacho!

They know its not due to the combined  axle weights.

Yes sadly lots that should know actually don't. Especially the exemptions.

• Like 1

I use a GD106 (I think), which has slightly higher sides and is generally a beast of a trailer. Can't see its like on google but mine includes a tray for the bucket (or anything else you fancy). Tows well but at over 7ft wide is a bit of a challenge when meeting oncoming traffic on a narrow lane.

With the higher sides, its practical for using as a load carrier too and although its not currently, it can be caged for even more versatility.

For someone who only has one trailer, its a very practical all-rounder.

1737781991__57.thumb.JPG.0444fca4ea208d3b0505a7caf6bcbb57.JPG