Night security at yards/lock-ups

Ignis

Recently, I've been thinking about an idea that first popped into my head a while ago. Pretty simple really... It involves offering a free "night security" type of service in exchange for a small area to put a caravan or something similar. I would like to hear people's thoughts on the subject. Is there any real need for such a service? Am I flogging a dead horse? Do you know anyone doing a similar thing? To make it all above board I would happily get an SIA licence and the relevant insurance etc. Or discreet works for me too. I've been in the industry for 5 years and have the core 4 tickets so I would probably be of most use to someone who also needed daytime Arb staff. Plus I think it would help build the trust that I would need to develop from the yard owner.

The idea has resurfaced due to issues with myself and my partner's current housing situation. Long story short, we didn't like the landlord much or the neighbors. Not much work around etc... So we gave notice to leave early. The estate agents have us over a barrel with re-listing fees and cheeky little clauses within the contract so we have a date to leave, very little if any cash back from the deposit, no savings and nowhere to go. The Gf can go back to her parent's if push comes to shove but I need to think of a plan b pretty quickly. I'd be really interested to hear what you think.

Cheers.

Hi Mark, cheers for that. We are in Kent at present. Realistically, if an opportunity presented itself, I would happily relocate. Obviously if it was ages from Kent, then my girlfriend would ideally be squeezed into the negotiations. We haven't tried the housing association side of things. I think we also need to see citizens advice

7 minutes ago, Ignis said:

Recently, I've been thinking about an idea that first popped into my head a while ago. Pretty simple really... It involves offering a free "night security" type of service in exchange for a small area to put a caravan or something similar. I would like to hear people's thoughts on the subject. Is there any real need for such a service? Am I flogging a dead horse? Do you know anyone doing a similar thing? To make it all above board I would happily get an SIA licence and the relevant insurance etc. Or discreet works for me too. I've been in the industry for 5 years and have the core 4 tickets so I would probably be of most use to someone who also needed daytime Arb staff. Plus I think it would help build the trust that I would need to develop from the yard owner.

The idea has resurfaced due to issues with myself and my partner's current housing situation. Long story short, we didn't like the landlord much or the neighbors. Not much work around etc... So we gave notice to leave early. The estate agents have us over a barrel with re-listing fees and cheeky little clauses within the contract so we have a date to leave, very little if any cash back from the deposit, no savings and nowhere to go. The Gf can go back to her parent's if push comes to shove but I need to think of a plan b pretty quickly. I'd be really interested to hear what you think.

Cheers.

I'm in a mates yard ATM. I've got electric and water, and have a separate toilet/shower right next to my bus. Finding someone to trust you is going to be the hard part. You will need an address for mail, insurance, driving licence and so on. Don't tell anyone you are living there, as soon as the council find out you will be out. Keep under the radar and you'll be fine. I wouldn't put a static van on a place like this in case you get turfed out at short notice. It's a bit of a ball ache but look at CS's, you should move every 28 days but if you find the right one you should be able to stay for as long as you like. I can't see you getting it free for security but should get it cheap enough to not have to stress about it. If you want any more info pm me.

16 minutes ago, Ignis said:

Hi Mark, cheers for that. We are in Kent at present. Realistically, if an opportunity presented itself, I would happily relocate. Obviously if it was ages from Kent, then my girlfriend would ideally be squeezed into the negotiations. We haven't tried the housing association side of things. I think we also need to see citizens advice

Damm not my area ! 

I’v got friends in Somerset with a good network of contacts ! 

Regarding citizens advice, worth a try, 

google Saint Johns Trust they maybe able to give you the deposit for a flat !

smart move letting us know your situation, others have been helped here and gone from strength to strength !

most importantly keep in regular touch ! This is a big big network !

• Like 1