Ecograte

Anybody got any experience of the Ecograte?  Www.ecograte.ie

It is an Irish made product which looks like it simply sits in a traditional open fire and greatly increases the efficiency.  Based on the manufacturer’s claims it will never rival a wood burner but will greatly improve the average open fire.  

Anyone got any experience of it?

This is a haifway house between a stove and an open fire.  We have had them here under another brand name for many years.

There is still nothing stopping heat from the fire rising up the chimney,  so if the cost is only £150 or so then its probably worth it if fitting is DIY.  Otherwise do the job properly and install a stove with a galvanised steel register plate in the chimney to prevent heat loss.

A

47 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

This is a haifway house between a stove and an open fire.  We have had them here under another brand name for many years.

There is still nothing stopping heat from the fire rising up the chimney,  so if the cost is only £150 or so then its probably worth it if fitting is DIY.  Otherwise do the job properly and install a stove with a galvanised steel register plate in the chimney to prevent heat loss.

A

Interesting.  What is the other brand name if you don’t mind me asking?

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

I wonder if  he means the Jetmaster from the early 70s

Oh yes I had forgotten about the Jetmaster.  I will be opening up an open fire in my lounge and I am looking into the options for an open fire which is a bit more efficient.

19 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Oh yes I had forgotten about the Jetmaster.  I will be opening up an open fire in my lounge and I am looking into the options for an open fire which is a bit more efficient.

My father in law had one installed into the lounge of a large victorian house (area bigger than all the floors of my cottage). it was well before I took any interest in burning though I was starting to fell elms and climb in a rudimentary way.

It  was all steel construction and had a "boiler" fitted that ran in front of but at the back of the fire,

This and the convection around the back meant that the flame was constantly quenched. The tar build up on the boiler got thick enough for it to self limit the conduction to the water.