Getting ready for ash die back.

3 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Fell em appears to be easy answer from powers that be.

Does chalara (if thats spelt right) affect any other species in any way? Total novice here.

Not to my knowledge.

It is pretty devastating though. I manage a 200 acre ancient Woodland which is predominantly Ash. I haven't seen a healthy Ash tree in the past 2 years.

Not to my knowledge.

It is pretty devastating though. I manage a 200 acre ancient Woodland which is predominantly Ash. I haven't seen a healthy Ash tree in the past 2 years.

Sad indeed. It appears from reading bits here and there, that once there is a sign of it then thats kind of it!..... is there any evidence at all anywhere that shows any Ash trees that have shown signs of recovery?

3 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Sad indeed. It appears from reading bits here and there, that once there is a sign of it then thats kind of it!..... is there any evidence at all anywhere that shows any Ash trees that have shown signs of recovery?

Yes, there is bound to be some resilience at least, if not resistance. Last I heard it was estimated to be somewhere between 10% and 0.1% nationwide.

Time will tell.

Not to my knowledge.

That's worrying. There is a small plantation growing beside home, it's 3 acres of 12 yo totally infested ash and 6 acres of almost knackered 22yo looks like they are going to dig out and bury the young plantation and clear the older one for what firewood is in it then replant with Sitka. Great.
However the native ash stock seems less.infected, we have two ash at our entrance and one is fine, the other I brought back to a pollard as.its roadside and has a large cavity at the base, but is otherwise healthy. Awaiting it's reaction to the works.
It would be devastating to lose a woodland such as yours, whatever about the plantations..
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Sad, but one way of looking at it i suppose. How are ash trees outside of the uk fairing?

See.my post above, I'm in co. Galway West of Ireland, some large plantations across the country, especially east Midlands have been destroyed but many of the native stock, boundary and roadside trees seem to be faring better. Not all though.

• Like 1