Getting ready for ash die back.

I noticed while shooting this year that the estate I do woodland work for is, as many are, going to have a lot of semi mature ash to remove in the coming years. Got to thinking about best way for felling them without damage to neighbouring trees. The sheer number makes my back hurt just thinking about winching and turning them out of the canopy, so...

what kind of capacity can a 8 ton machine with a shear head handle? Or maybe a stroke processing head.

Can they handle a semi mature ash with a base of about 300 - 450 mm.

would be good to hear from anybody running a set up like this or anybody that works for a manufacturer or dealer.

thanks - andy

10 minutes ago, gdh said:

An 8tonner will usually only take a 30cm tree shear which will be down to 25cm cutting hardwood. You can get bigger ones but you would need 13ton plus to take the weight. 

Would a stroke head be lighter than a shear or is it a case of 13 ton + for most heads of that capacity?

at least 13s are easier to get hold of and I would guess would cope better with a flail aswell.

Will a problem with machine harvesting not be the machine is directly in the danger zome if any big branches come off as it wrestles it to the deck??

I have to admit not familar with harvester in hardwoods or ash dieback yet (fortunately)

But i wouldn't fancy being sat in a machime directly belwo some big brittle dead limbs just waiting to fall as u pull it down throu the canopy

3 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Will a problem with machine harvesting not be the machine is directly in the danger zome if any big branches come off as it wrestles it to the deck??

I have to admit not familar with harvester in hardwoods or ash dieback yet (fortunately)

But i wouldn't fancy being sat in a machime directly belwo some big brittle dead limbs just waiting to fall as u pull it down throu the canopy

That is a good point, but I'd rather be in a cab with proper guarding on than in a pair of boots with a husky lid on.

i'll be honest driving a harvester would be a new experience for me so I know nothing.

wondering if an 8 ton would be able to reach up enough to just take upper part of the tree where it was under 250/300 diameter.

will have a dredge of utube.

Must admit i'd rather be the oppisate, putting ur felling cuts into a tree with a winch already attached and getting the hell out off the way before any pressure/movement put on the dead tree.

Don't get me wrong i wouldnae fancy battering hi lifts in to get it over for the exact same reason

But putting the cuts into a static tree isn't much more dangerous than walking/standing under it

Been around load sof softwood harvesters and when there pullig trees down they put a lot of pressure on tree limbs and soft woods dont tend to snap off generslly.

I have heard of odd limbs/widow makers spearing down into harvester cab roofs.

Usually not that much real wieght in them, but certainly wouldnt fancy a major ash limb coming down on the roof (possibly it might shatter, but still be changing boxers time)

I'm not a harvester operator but i imagine if ur reaching up when u sever the tree ur digger arm will be supporting the whole wieght of tree 4-5m's? off ground, it would wnt to come vertically down fast.

Dunno i ur hydralics would be strong/quick enpough to swng it to the side the way harvesters do with softwoods at ground level. Would imagine could easy tip the digger if u get it wrong.

Or crown could catch on the 4-5m high tottem pole u've just left knocking it over or crown shattering everywhere or creating some sort of barbers chair/see saw type thing??

I've seen full sized harvesters have to let go of trees when doing some bigger stuff incase it would take them over bankings (but i may be wrong as like i said not a harvester driver)

40 minutes ago, andy cobb said:

Would a stroke head be lighter than a shear or is it a case of 13 ton + for most heads of that capacity?

at least 13s are easier to get hold of and I would guess would cope better with a flail aswell.

I've only got limited experience with a tree shear but I don't think you'll find anything lighter because they're so simple. If you get a tilt hitch on the digger it's relatively easy to reach up and take down branches and stems.

If you're looking second hand it's much easier to get hold of a 13tonner if you have the access.

Here's ours:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=405178583218215&id=260687344334007

44 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Must admit i'd rather be the oppisate, putting ur felling cuts into a tree with a winch already attached and getting the hell out off the way before any pressure/movement put on the dead tree.

Don't get me wrong i wouldnae fancy battering hi lifts in to get it over for the exact same reason

But putting the cuts into a static tree isn't much more dangerous than walking/standing under it

Been around load sof softwood harvesters and when there pullig trees down they put a lot of pressure on tree limbs and soft woods dont tend to snap off generslly.

I have heard of odd limbs/widow makers spearing down into harvester cab roofs.

Usually not that much real wieght in them, but certainly wouldnt fancy a major ash limb coming down on the roof (possibly it might shatter, but still be changing boxers time)

I'm not a harvester operator but i imagine if ur reaching up when u sever the tree ur digger arm will be supporting the whole wieght of tree 4-5m's? off ground, it would wnt to come vertically down fast.

Dunno i ur hydralics would be strong/quick enpough to swng it to the side the way harvesters do with softwoods at ground level. Would imagine could easy tip the digger if u get it wrong.

Or crown could catch on the 4-5m high tottem pole u've just left knocking it over or crown shattering everywhere or creating some sort of barbers chair/see saw type thing??

I've seen full sized harvesters have to let go of trees when doing some bigger stuff incase it would take them over bankings (but i may be wrong as like i said not a harvester driver)

I think your probably correct on weight and hyd issues with an 8 ton.

just can't bear the thought of winching thick end of a thousand stems off their stumps!

Been looking on mascus at 13s

44 minutes ago, gdh said:

I've only got limited experience with a tree shear but I don't think you'll find anything lighter because they're so simple. If you get a tilt hitch on the digger it's relatively easy to reach up and take down branches and stems.

If you're looking second hand it's much easier to get hold of a 13tonner if you have the access.

Here's ours:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=405178583218215&id=260687344334007

Nice video, shows how efficient a smaller machine can be in the correct environment 

• 1 month later...