Natural Screens...

benedmonds

I always wondered what people thought when they first came across coconuts.

A bit of common gorse is always in flower somewhere.

Broom is lovely in flower but seems to just up and die for no discernible reason

I agree, I have seen a number of Spanish brooms in domestic gardens over the years split then turn their toes up for no apparent reason!

41 minutes ago, EdwardC said:

.... Is it part of a formal landscape, is it more a 'natural' landscape. .... At present the design looks disconnected with the wider landscape, and the species proposed by the client do not help

It is currently a 'natural' landscape and is likely to remain that way. The clients ideas felt very disconnected..

I am going to steer towards a block of trees/spinney to act as the screen from the footpath and for the wind break screen I am going to push for a willow fedge, possibly incorporating changing rooms also made out willow.. 

Even if they look a bit exotic it doesn’t make it a bad choice in design? If it’s around a lake with a bathing spot etc, probably going to used mainly in summer so the likes of bamboo and laurel could be a welcome exotic addition?

We always sneak into the old chalk pit lakes in summer and the main point of them is that they make you feel you are somewhere other than England