Work for wood

gobbypunk

7 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

I quoted a multi-millionaire landowner £400 to clear a windblown oak once. Spec was to chip the brash and leave the timber in moveable bits. A short day for 2 of us about 10 years ago. He was a proper knob as soon as I turned up.

He came straight out with 'Why should I pay £400 for unskilled work?'

I asked if he could do it himself, and he said he couldn't.

I said that that must make him even less than unskilled?

He literally turned purple.

Didn't get the job, obviously, but that was worth far more than £400.

Class :thumbup: I bet that makes you laugh every time you think of it.

I know everyone says these ignorant rich cnts are rich because they are tight, bollox I bet they are rich because they are the 1 in a 100 of us that are psychopaths (the none murderous kind) that can bend a lot of people to their will, good to see they dont always win :)

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Yes it’s often said ‘oh that didn’t take your mob long’ in a begrudging sort of way. I look them straight in the eye, smile and say ‘ well you did call in the A Team’ which usually ends on good terms when they cough up , while I’m waiting on their kitchen doorstep.
For all domestic it’s pay up before we go, of course for commercial you have to wait a bit, as unfortunately you have to work to their terms, if you don’t like it they’ll jolly soon find someone else who will accept it.
When I’m asked to dismantle rotten firs over greenhouses, swimming pool changing rooms, Victorian pergolas etc, ‘for the wood ‘ I think what a cretin, and don’t even look at it.

• Like 3

I remember quoting for an old landlord. They had a medium ash tree over an oil tank they wanted out. They had been good to me so I wanted to be fair, I said it's a 4 to 6hr job, I would like 20quid an hour and my groundie will need 15. They got back to me saying they would pay 12 an hour for groundy.

I literally couldn't believe it. They are really nice people, but not shy of a few Bob. I've offered to do a job seriously cheap and they still try to save 12quid bartering.

• Like 3

I remember quoting for an old landlord. They had a medium ash tree over an oil tank they wanted out. They had been good to me so I wanted to be fair, I said it's a 4 to 6hr job, I would like 20quid an hour and my groundie will need 15. They got back to me saying they would pay 12 an hour for groundy.

I literally couldn't believe it. They are really nice people, but not shy of a few Bob. I've offered to do a job seriously cheap and they still try to save 12quid bartering.

I hope after politely declining their “generous” offer Bill, you took your shirt off and hung it on their gatepost as you left! [emoji106]???
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I hope after politely declining their “generous” offer Bill, you took your shirt off and hung it on their gatepost as you left! [emoji106]???
I was pretty shocked at the time. Came back to them, explained they were arguing over 12 quid and their welcome to get other quotes.

Since then have done quite a bit for them and have always charged full fat price from then on.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 08/02/2019 at 23:04, Mesterh said:

Class :thumbup: I bet that makes you laugh every time you think of it.

I know everyone says these ignorant rich cnts are rich because they are tight, bollox I bet they are rich because they are the 1 in a 100 of us that are psychopaths (the none murderous kind) that can bend a lot of people to their will, good to see they dont always win :)

Or they work hard? Maybe even got an education instead of dossing away their youth? 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Or they work hard? Maybe even got an education instead of dossing away their youth? 

hard working, educated psychopaths, bending a lot of people to their will. Making sure they get most of the cake, because they deserve it,  brushing off the least amount of crumbs they can get away with to feed the unintelligent lazy creatures with muscles, hands and eyes

• Like 3

Just now, tree-fancier123 said:

hard working, educated psychopaths, bending a lot of people to their will. Making sure they get most of the cake, because they deserve it,  brushing off the least amount of crumbs they can get away with to feed the unintelligent lazy creatures with muscles, hands and eyes

What a load of bollox. :D 

Sounds like someone pissed in your chips some time in the past. 

Envy is a terrible thing. 

• Haha 1