Work for wood

gobbypunk

11 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Ha! Try living in a heavily wooded rural area where every swinging dick over 14 is handy with a saw, suicidally fearless, and half the population own a tractor or a digger! You'll re-evaluate the "value of the trade!" Market forces take no prisoners...

5 minutes ago, Yorkshire Brummie said:

Yeah everyone knows a farmer wearing “chainsaw proof wellies” and with hairy ears and a cap “doubling” as ear cans and a proper lid! ?emoji850.png?

???

Was watching it just yesterday from kitchen window!

Tele=handler with spud box containing clown with chainsaw hanging out the side blocking the traffic whilst lopping limbs into the road....  

And they wonder why the Ag sector features so highly in HSE death and seriously injured stat's...

• Like 2

I quoted a multi-millionaire landowner £400 to clear a windblown oak once. Spec was to chip the brash and leave the timber in moveable bits. A short day for 2 of us about 10 years ago. He was a proper knob as soon as I turned up.

He came straight out with 'Why should I pay £400 for unskilled work?'

I asked if he could do it himself, and he said he couldn't.

I said that that must make him even less than unskilled?

He literally turned purple.

Didn't get the job, obviously, but that was worth far more than £400.

• Like 10
  • Haha 10

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Was watching it just yesterday from kitchen window!

Tele=handler with spud box containing clown with chainsaw hanging out the side blocking the traffic whilst lopping limbs into the road....  

And they wonder why the Ag sector features so highly in HSE death and seriously injured stat's...

A few years back I did the RFS cert in Arb at a local Agricultural college. A good informative part time course shoe horned into a year to run along side various practical CS units. One of the stats they gave that stuck in my head was that the Arb. world had a really high accident rate, higher than it should have probably been, because the HSE reports “lumped” it all in the same tray as Agricultural mishaps. This is 20 odd years ago mind, does this still happen when the various industry catastrophes are rolled out?
Sorry to derail thread... I think it’s pretty much agreed that wood for work on most accounts is a P**s take
Cheers
I
  • Thanks 1

I quoted a good size take down for fair price. With the right kit, my skill and a few nifty tricks we were cleaning up by dinner time. Same thing rich chap turned up, looking all indignant and hard done by,

he said ‘’but that only took you 4 hours!’’ 

I said no sir that’s taken me 30 years! Long long pause, hurph stomped off. Long wait for payment.

• Like 8