Work for wood

gobbypunk

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

It's a falacy that the rich would stop earning so much / move to nother country if they had to pay more tax. It's status. Living in UK means too much oddly. K

Maybe.

on the other hand if they were to be more punitively taxed they would just cut margins elsewhere and that would trickle down to the bottom and affect those least able to afford it.

like I said earlier the tax system is flawed at both ends of the scale.

too little at the top and people complain a rich person might “only pay” £200k in tax. I wonder how much the top would care either way if the tax free level was brought up to levels that people could live properly on? My thought is they wouldn’t give it a second thought

I have close family links to the City n Banking, believe me it's tax contribution is the least of its worries in life. If once you get to 40,000 yr problys driving a car yr company is running on company expense,  which you use as yr own. A decent pensions packet running for you with share options and private health care package thrown in as all alloeable tax benefits. ( this may already be worth most  peoples salary by now ) Relate this to Mrs Mop in her micra she driving, heading to second job to pay fr that holiday, fr kids n husband she mostly never sees. But is paying more tax in actual terms than Mr Boss.   K

6 hours ago, Mark2 said:

I don’t envy the rich, they envy me ! And they tell me so, time and time again.

You see it’s all down to how you define wealth. - - -

Is it noughts on a bank statement ?

Or the people you’v got round you ? Your environment ? State of mind and health ?

No I don’t envy them I pity them - - - 

no heart!

no soul!

but there are exceptions, we can’t generalise.

I’m sure they do tell you all the time, I bet it’s just after you have come down from one of the millions of 140ft trees you’ve climbed and just before you hear a voice saying wakey wakey Mark your breakfast is ready ?

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Seems odd to me to presume that rich and successful are the same. I only know a few rich folks. They are miserable and stressed beyond belief, rarely see their kids and will probably die young from a stress realated illness. Daft buggers if you ask me.

Mark beat me to it. 

It’s context, we were talking about money and tax, so ok ‘successful’ in financial terms. There obviously much more important things in life.

The people you know Sound really unhappy. I know really unhappy people too, but to be honest most of them are not very well off. They are also stressed etc.

I also know some very wealthy people, who are the happiest, most family originated people you could meet.

I have close family links to the City n Banking, believe me it's tax contribution is the least of its worries in life. If once you get to 40,000 yr problys driving a car yr company is running on company expense,  which you use as yr own. A decent pensions packet running for you with share options and private health care package thrown in as all alloeable tax benefits. ( this may already be worth most  peoples salary by now ) Relate this to Mrs Mop in her micra she driving, heading to second job to pay fr that holiday, fr kids n husband she mostly never sees. But is paying more tax in actual terms than Mr Boss.   K
Company car and fuel taxable as benefit in kind - amount of tax I used to pay on mine made my eyes water! Glad to be rid of it only real advantage was servicing, tax and insurance costs saving. Better off now working for myself than I was when employed with 'perks' 15 years ago.
  • Like 1

What I have noticed is that people who have done well for themselves tend to work harder and longer.

Not all rich people were given their money.

I don't see anything wrong with tax at a flat rate across the board.

People wouldn't be so tempted to avoid it if it was fairer system.

14 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

What I have noticed is that people who have done well for themselves tend to work harder and longer.

And people still think that they're 'lucky':lol:

The wealthiest person I know (well past pension age) works longer hours than any of the managers and company officers that he employs. 

I phoned him him one Saturday morning with a query about an urgent survey I was doing, he answered my questions, chatted about other things for a minute or two before he said that he was actually in France on holiday. 

My respect for him went up a notch after that.

• Like 3