Work for wood

gobbypunk

3 minutes ago, Khriss said:

A survey a few yrs ago did find in a city business, the MD paid less tax than the office cleaner on earnings percentage. It is this that is wrong with UK , I don't pay a lot of tax , and don't resent paying tax for service in this country, but resent the skanks who think it's not fr them , k

So what? What if he"s paying millions in tax? Why does the "percentage" matter?

This is the politics of envy.

Rich people often don't even use the services their taxes pay for, they tend to privately educate their children, have private health care, etc, etc.

Sure the rich should pay their fair share, but tax should not be about punishing the successful, just to make those who have failed feel better, Imo.

• Like 5

So what? What if he"s paying millions in tax? Why does the "percentage" matter?

This is the politics of envy.

Rich people often don't even use the services their taxes pay for, they tend to privately educate their children, have private health care, etc, etc.

Sure the rich should pay their fair share, but tax should not be about punishing the successful, just to make those who have failed feel better, Imo.
Couldn't agree with you more
  • Like 2

Percentages matter because their proportionate. 

The wealthy should be paying atleast the same percentage as the less well off, otherwise that wealth gap widens faster. 

In fact I believe the law of diminishing returns justifies the wealthy being taxed for more heavily. It's a pretty well documented phenomenon that a little more money makes people a lot happier, but a lot more only makes them a little happier than that. Don't ask me to provide evidence of that, I'm not going to.

That suggests you can tax well heeled folk more, and have less of an impact on their well-being. 

Either that or we can rely on trickle down economics - when the weight of their cash bursts their pockets we can pick it up as it trickles out the bottom of their trousers.

Seems fair.

Edited by Stuart Picken
Crap spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don’t envy the rich, they envy me ! And they tell me so, time and time again.

You see it’s all down to how you define wealth. - - -

Is it noughts on a bank statement ?

Or the people you’v got round you ? Your environment ? State of mind and health ?

No I don’t envy them I pity them - - - 

no heart!

no soul!

but there are exceptions, we can’t generalise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

but tax should not be about punishing the successful, just to make those who have failed feel better, Imo.

Seems odd to me to presume that rich and successful are the same. I only know a few rich folks. They are miserable and stressed beyond belief, rarely see their kids and will probably die young from a stress realated illness. Daft buggers if you ask me.

Mark beat me to it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

I don't envy anyone @skyhuck the point it, Mrs mop earning 15,000 an getting taxed at 23% say, is worse off that Mr Boss earning 200,000 an paying less than say 10% of that through his big tax deductibles n off shore avoidance schemes. K

But Mrs mop isn’t being taxed at 23% as nearly 70% of her money is not taxed at all.

i think if the tax was slightly less percentage wise for high earners but they can’t hide any money offshore etc. Tax income would probably increase but the rich would not feel like they were being punished for doing well.

that said I think tax free income should be set at more than 11k as if your only making 15 you haven’t got much spare set it at £20k as an example 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Living in UK means too much oddly.

Its a nice island with comfortable climate, plentiful flora and fauna. If you believe the boffins the early settlers arrived here millions of years ago unshaven and could have quite easily gone elsewhere, as there were no passports

Edit - maybe it wasn't a proper island when the first hairy apes were mooching about?

Edited by tree-fancier123
  • Haha 1