Work for wood

gobbypunk

Depends on the type of wood, the difficulty of the job, the conditions of clean-up and the distance from home. If the variables are favorable, it's definitely worth it. Each instance must be assessed seperatly. Discounts for the timber figure into the bargain if it's payed work. All depends. Most of the cost to you will be road haulage, in time, fuel and wear and tear. And processing. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi guys I had a gent ring me wanting me and a mate to price up tidying up some big oak trees , not had time yet , so at half 8 this morning he rings me one of the oaks has come down blocking his private road , come and clear it up for me he says you can have the wood , how many of you would have done it for the wood , just curious 

Cheers Mark

Staggering aren't they ! Fucking twat , oh yea cos my bank manager accepts logs for my overdraft ! Was my reply to one gent.... k (  clue is here "private drive " )

Edited by Khriss
Only my girlfriend does it fr the wood ;)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Depends on the type of wood, the difficulty of the job, the conditions of clean-up and the distance from home. If the variables are favorable, it's definitely worth it. Each instance must be assessed seperatly. Discounts for the timber figure into the bargain if it's payed work. All depends. Most of the cost to you will be road haulage, in time, fuel and wear and tear. And processing. 

So .. that's a " No I won't " then ;) k

Hi I was of the same thinking as Khriss and it was just his attitude oh come and clear my road like a s a p and just keep the wood but I want the small stuff , he did contact me later yesterday afternoon saying he had got the tree dealt with and the butt was in his yard did I want to buy it I offered to mill it for him and share the planks but he just wanted to sell it , oh well on to the next one 

Have a good day Guys   Cheers Mark 

• Like 7

I will on occasion. 

Wood is getting expensive to buy in for our logs so if all the variables are in its favour why not? The variables are wood type, locality, access, the amount of tidying up required etc. So if it's some rotten alder at the bottom of a steep bank and needs to be left immaculate not a chance. On the other hand, your neighbor says "come clear this beech trunk sitting on my drive and I will clear up the brash" I am there in a flash

• Like 1

Staggering aren't they ! Fucking twat , oh yea cos my bank manager accepts logs for my overdraft ! Was my reply to one gent.... k (  clue is here "private drive " )

In a nutshell Khriss you’ve hit the nail on the head [emoji106]
Arbwork can be a dangerous, expensive, dirty, exhausting, stressful job.
As a professional the job costs what you price it at. If you make on the timber as well, then Bingo. Beer money for the lads, ticket to the footie for the kids at the weekend etc, etc.
If he gets a hobbyist, wood fairy or mate of a mate who will come and do it for free, well that’s up to him. Don’t think he’d be too happy if it all goes Pete tong though and he ends up with an uninsured industrial accident on his private property!
Cheers
I
  • Thanks 1

I don't lend my saws out ( don't want them back blunt ) don't do " it's just a 5 minute job mate- there's a beer it - "  I don't like our trade devalued by people who 'think' it's "easy - I could do that" 

We 'make' it look easy cos of experience, training and expensive professional quality kit, with many hidden costs ( insurance , Loler 98, tip costs and wear n tear ) 

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Khriss said:

I don't lend my saws out ( don't want them back blunt ) don't do " it's just a 5 minute job mate- there's a beer it - "  I don't like our trade devalued by people who 'think' it's "easy - I could do that" 

We 'make' it look easy cos of experience, training and expensive professional quality kit, with many hidden costs ( insurance , Loler 98, tip costs and wear n tear ) 

Ha! Try living in a heavily wooded rural area where every swinging dick over 14 is handy with a saw, suicidally fearless, and half the population own a tractor or a digger! You'll re-evaluate the "value of the trade!" Market forces take no prisoners...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Feel you!

Yesterday, to follow up a phone enquiry, went to see a geez with a 'tree problem.'

He's done TPO app himself for neighbour's trees - made an ass of it, came back refused, no surprise.

He say's "...can you do an app for me, I did last one, it's free..."  What he actually meant was - I don't expect you to charge for submitting the app.  

My reply "...submitting the form is free, putting the right content into the form before it's submitted makes the difference between approval and refusal, and that ain't free..."

If folk think they can "do it themselves" why have they called somebody else to do it for them?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1