Work for wood

gobbypunk

Hi guys I had a gent ring me wanting me and a mate to price up tidying up some big oak trees , not had time yet , so at half 8 this morning he rings me one of the oaks has come down blocking his private road , come and clear it up for me he says you can have the wood , how many of you would have done it for the wood , just curious 

Cheers Mark

• Haha 3

If it's pulling you away from other work, there should be a charge, even if you do make an allowance for the timber.

If it's a freebie, then you should choose when and how to do it- and by the sounds of it, they'd like their road open asap!

48 minutes ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi guys I had a gent ring me wanting me and a mate to price up tidying up some big oak trees , not had time yet , so at half 8 this morning he rings me one of the oaks has come down blocking his private road , come and clear it up for me he says you can have the wood , how many of you would have done it for the wood , just curious 

Cheers Mark

Emergency call out surely ? 

• Like 1

I am not a tree surgeon, I mill up logs with my Alaskan mill and kiln dry the wood to make things out of. If this oak was a decent size and worth planking I would plank it ok. The branches and other bits of trunk not suitable for planking would get logged up for my firewood. The brash I would be prepared to pile up and the owner could burn it when dry. I don't see a problem in that at all. As I am short of oak at present I would be prepared to do it at short notice as well in case someone else was going to get the wood!

• Like 2

As with private drives, I’d ask how big it was (the log/tree/branch), maybe go and look at it, and say it is  just a branch. And remember he wanted a price for tidying up before. 

I'd lump the job price all together. Cos if you do this bit free, the rest may have to be cheap.

But it it does really depend on what you will get out of it in the end,and also as said before if it’s stopping you do anything else 

I’ve had quite a few like this, it normally goes

”Will you do it for the wood” or “How much do I get off if you keep the timber”

For me, I don’t mill timber and I gave up selling logs a few years ago so keeping the wood is a bonus. A lot of the time I’ll do my best to talk people into keeping the timber as it’s less work for me. 

• Like 1