Bar lift in cut

Shiny steve

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Do you retension your chain regularly?
Should be a little tighter than cross cutting.
Heats up more, stretches then needs re tensioning.
Cools down etc.
That wedge is way too deep.
See how it is lifting the board.
emoji106.png

Regarding tention, how tight do you run low pro milling chains 

15 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Id say uneven sharpening. I bought the Granberg Persision Sharperner, its great. :D I file 2-3 times by hand then the 4th time go over the chain with the Granberg to make sure everything is still even. Ive never had an issue like this though, even with buggered chains.

Out of interest why are you leaving the last foot unmilled then starting at the other end? I cant see any logical reason of it? The most dificult bit of milling after the first cut is getting the Mill to enter square, why double the change of buggering it up? 

WTF are you doing talking arb on an arb forum oil boy?! ? Don’t let Mark2 catch you!!!

• Haha 2

It doesnt look that bad in the pictures, but make sure you dont have any burrs on your bar. I have had this before where the burr is uneven ie. more on the bottom, and it causes exactly this problem. Maybe take off the bar and give it a really good dressing and try again. I also regularly turn the bar over and I dress it every 4 or 5 chain sharpens/swaps

Looking at your saw in the mill, it’s blued/lost paint on the bottom.

1. have you been pushing to hard and heated your bar/ not enough oil/blunt chain. Etc.

2. Have you turned your bar and does it still do the same. It looks like you don’t have the bluing/lost paint on the top.

3. Are you running the correct dl gauge for the bar (ie 1.3 in a 1.3 and not a 1.6). And also while we’re here do you have the correct sprocket for the chain, (someone on here was using a std 3/8 sprocket with a 3\8 lopro chain, which seemed to have resulted in chain snapping)

Btw.

Ive found that cleaning the bar rails then simply a few marks across the rails all the way up with a sharpie pen, then filing the bar with a guide bar dressing file in that fancy holder. Soon Showed up the unevenness. It soon cut straight afterwards.

you may think it’s a bit ocd, but if your trying to workout where your going wrong. It just eliminated every little error.

cheers I hope this helps 

• Like 1