Bar lift in cut

Shiny steve

Hello chaps, been doing the odd bit of milling for a while, but have just had a bit of an issue that I'm not sure how to deal with.

First cut taken reasonably flat, second cut seemed to lift/ rise in the cut within the first 8 inch, run from other end of log cut fine until close to this section of timber. Second cut exactly the same chain/ bar rises up in the log. Chain swapped on first cut and bar flipped 

No metal- debris in timber

661- panther mill lo pro pmx chain

IMG_20190203_151343.jpg

Personally I never use wedges .. if you did it would be when your coming out of the cut.
I try and always put down pressure on the mill handle and keep an eye on front and rear rails you can usually catch it and apply enough pressure if it starts to deviate..
I would be looking at the chain for damage , looks like it’s blunt on one side to see that amount of deviation.
Chains are every thing milling , I even bench grind my milling chains with tons of oil to keep them from bluing and at a factory angle and to keep every cutter the same , even though I have sharpened chains since a kid and could do it twice as fast by hand if they are not 100% perfect you will get deviation milling.

• Like 4

Hello chaps, been doing the odd bit of milling for a while, but have just had a bit of an issue that I'm not sure how to deal with.

First cut taken reasonably flat, second cut seemed to lift/ rise in the cut within the first 8 inch, run from other end of log cut fine until close to this section of timber. Second cut exactly the same chain/ bar rises up in the log. Chain swapped on first cut and bar flipped 

No metal- debris in timber

661- panther mill lo pro pmx chain
IMG_20190203_151343.thumb.jpg.78ecb8fc26b977d7ad7dcecf033c411d.jpg

Where abouts you based Steve?

Id say uneven sharpening. I bought the Granberg Persision Sharperner, its great. :D I file 2-3 times by hand then the 4th time go over the chain with the Granberg to make sure everything is still even. Ive never had an issue like this though, even with buggered chains.

Out of interest why are you leaving the last foot unmilled then starting at the other end? I cant see any logical reason of it? The most dificult bit of milling after the first cut is getting the Mill to enter square, why double the change of buggering it up?