Lime and Sweet Chestnut.

trigger_andy

1 minute ago, Squaredy said:

I think it is worth pointing out that as a general rule when you kiln timber you do so after air drying - to get it dry enough for indoor use.  Kiln drying from freshly milled is possible but very expensive and troublesome.  Air drying will bring timber down to around 20% in most parts of the UK, and kiln drying then will take it down to 12% or whatever you want.  You may actually find that there are plenty of people who are quite happy with air dried.

Hmmmm, good point. But if Im not wanting to wait two years to get them down to 20%?  

Say 2" Slabs, I wonder how long would Kiln Drying them take to get down to 20%? And also the cost? Not really looked into it yet. Will most likely buy another Polly Tunnel and stack them till I have more time and money.

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

Hmmmm, good point. But if Im not wanting to wait two years to get them down to 20%?  

Say 2" Slabs, I wonder how long would Kiln Drying them take to get down to 20%? And also the cost? Not really looked into it yet. Will most likely buy another Polly Tunnel and stack them till I have more time and money.

The best things in life come to those who wait.......

Sweet Chestnut at 2" thick may be air dry after a year or so if you are lucky with the weather.  A kiln would probably take a couple of months at a guess - never tried it from fresh sawn.  Also it depends what you have in mind for the timber.  I have sold completely unseasoned Chestnut for various uses over the years - like Oak there is some demand green.  If it is for selling this is another option.  Or if it is for your use it depends on what you have in mind.

You'll wait months for kiln drying green wood.
Poly tunnels are only good for firewood.
Too quick for boards, they will "check"
Lots of little rips n splits all over.
For 2" slabs a year in a dry draughty barn stacked well should get 20-25%mc
Some species dry quicker i.e. Ash
Some slower i.e. Oak

S.chestnut is a liability in slabs as it always wants to split.
I've cut 4m x18" logs in half to mill at 2m.
Crack!!!
Log pops in half!
Boards can do the same.
It's still worth milling as the wood is very strong and durable.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Air drying will bring timber down to around 20% in most parts of the UK, and kiln drying then will take it down to 12%

I'm up the west coast, the prevailing wind is more than often SW....a lot of rain and even so my air dried firewood at the moment is sitting at about between 12 - 15 % mc after roughly 9 months. Mostly Birch and Alder.

1" boards are at about the same or quicker than the firewood and most of the big stuff, Larch, cedar and Douglas mostly [ 2 1/4" ] will get to a similar mc in about 12 - 15 months.

We quite often get drying easterly with some sun in the spring at which point I usually try to take advantage and rip to a slight oversize if I know what I'm gonna use it for, re-stack inside for a while to get it a bit drier before using as is or planing to a finish.

I'm not doing this as a commercial operation and while on the one hand it's therapeutic and enjoyable... ..on the other it's got to be at times the most effin frustrating thing I've ever done .......

However as a late starter I've really got the folk on here to thank for the wealth of knowledge and experience that's freely passed on, making what's { at least to me } a really steep learning curve much more achievable... so cheers   ??

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

S.chestnut is a liability in slabs as it always wants to split.

Think I'll only bother with it then if its firewood prices. 

16 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Poly tunnels are only good for firewood.

Interesting. Mine is open both ends though so the air just rips through it. 

• 2 months later...
Gents .. I've got 6*90' sweet chestnuts to come down . All straight. Be a shame to log it or worse biomass it. Is it worth getting a mill in? 

If they have lean they will crack or warp.
If vertical, yes.
It's great timber.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

1 hour ago, warren said:

Gents .. I've got 6*90' sweet chestnuts to come down . All straight. Be a shame to log it or worse biomass it. Is it worth getting a mill in? 

Well worth milling unless it has ring shake as Mr Hewn said.  Post some pics when felled and we can check for ring shake.  If the trees are not too old you may be lucky.  What would you mill for, do you have a use in mind?