GRCS, smart winch or LD1

Mr. Squirrel

Hey folks,

Looking at getting one of the above. Just wanted to hear of people's personal experiences and thoughts on them.

I've used the GRCS loads, both from the ground and the top and really like it. Setup is a 2 man job really but straight forward enough. It's simple to use, and fits to smaller trees easily enough. Only draw back is having the separate lowering bollard. Which I've never actually used.

Smart winch - seems like a good idea. I've never used one myself, but had one on a largeish multi stem red oak dismantle for a company once. I had one groundy who'd never even used a portawrap before. I had concerns that it was a little tricky to take wraps off after winching to allow lowering? Certainly it seems less straight forward than unwinding the GRCS. I winched off a big piece of stem and while taking wraps off groundy lost control, all the rope shot off the winch and the piece made a hole in the ground. 

LD1 - never seen one in person or used one, but it's cheaper and more compact than the other two. Looks like it could be really good, but would rather see it in person first I guess. 

I have had the LD1 for a few years now. It is brilliant although the working load limit is less than the other two. 

Saves so much effort and time and I really like the spinlock clutch feature as I work with different groundsmen  with varying levels of experience.  It's nice to know the load can be locked off while taking wraps off or lifting.

The LD2 is available now which has a massive WLL and still has the spinlock clutch. 

Highly recommend. 

Yeah the hobbs is definitely a decent device too. As you say simple, and so less to go wrong. Great for less experienced groundies if you're contracting and the likes, or if you're sending the boys off to do a job. 

If I'm getting a winch I kinda want to go all out and get something that can really winch though, y'know? 

The ropeclamp bit on the ld1/2 does look pretty handy... I thought the ld2 looked like a pretty huge unit, but then I've only seen them online. How does that compare to the grcs?

• Like 1

I have the ld2 and it's a really good piece of kit.

The rope clamp to lock the load off is a really good feature. As it's really a groundie tool and as people have said varying abilities with different workers it adds saftey and piece of mind to the climber. 

Might be putting mine up for sale soon as a change in direction maybe ahead. 

12 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Yeah I watched a review of the ld2 and it actually looks really good. The clamp can obviously be optional, and the back plate being aluminium makes it look a lot less hefty all of a sudden! The fair leads look a bit funny though, can you use it with both of them on? 

Yes but tend to just put the fairlead on the side we're running the rope.

One man can fit it if you leave the bollard or winch off. Then fit which ever you need after.

If you are removing the tree you just unscrew the rear rubbers and there is a L piece of back plate ready to go into a notch you cut in the tree. 

Jim