I'm in need of some advice guys

Rhys Conway

I would still get experience even when you do your courses IMO it's a starter but just a small stepping stone, every tree reacts in a different way a small tree can still be dangerous. I would reccommend doing a course even to joe bloggs who gets a chainsaw from b&q, don't want you cutting your leg off or worse.

You also need to look and be profesional last thing you want is for example felling a tree in customers garden and not knowing anything about tension and compression, saw stuck What do you do then?? Kick back too

It's not as easy as some of us make it look, It wouldn't feel right to me giving you advice on kit to start on your own when there's a possibility you could go out there and kill yourself Sorry. DO COURSE AND GET EXPERIENCE is the advice i would give again :001_smile:

Good luck and be safe :thumbup1:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ian i really do appreciate your advice im doing the cs 30/31 in Jan and then the 38 and i'll be doing all the others, i also know a Tree surgeon who's taking me climbing to get a feel for it, and maybe after that i may feel that i'll have to work for a company for a few years, have you any idea what the money is like for a 30 year old starting out, and im buying my own tools ,or would that not be necessary ??, Thanks Ian

good advice on the get experience, i take every single chance i can to work with our estate forester, even if its just logging up felled trees into firewood its good to learn about compression/tension since none of our area is on flat ground its always fun. year or so ago we were felling some dead elms and discussing trapped saws, forester said he didnt often jam saw - next cut guess what!!!! trees do the total unexpected. got a good photo someplace of one of my bosses who had just done windblow course so decided only he could take down a tree and then crosscut, all i could do was drag brash - photo says all - he rushed and saw stuck!

so experience counts for everything - even small trees bite back

5976550c92a03_chrisjammingsaw.jpg.ce41b94021083c39c384b2f29348ad8d.jpg

Ring round your local companys, Ask them if they ever need a spare guy on the bigger jobs, Just dragging branchs or humping logs on the van, Or when people are on holiday/off sick etc.............tell them you'll do a day just cutting up logs in there yard for abit of cash, Just to get you used to using a saw

good advice on the get experience, i take every single chance i can to work with our estate forester, even if its just logging up felled trees into firewood its good to learn about compression/tension since none of our area is on flat ground its always fun. year or so ago we were felling some dead elms and discussing trapped saws, forester said he didnt often jam saw - next cut guess what!!!! trees do the total unexpected. got a good photo someplace of one of my bosses who had just done windblow course so decided only he could take down a tree and then crosscut, all i could do was drag brash - photo says all - he rushed and saw stuck!

I still do that every now and then:blushing:

its the saw fault !!! its a husky :laugh1:

Hey guys i've learnt tonight that i shouldnt just jump straight in to this type of work and i should definetly get some work experience under my belt first before taking on ANY work on my own , i would still love to know what are your Fav books on Arboriculture, im really glad i joined this group, been really helpfull, Thanks again guys.

If working for a company they should supply everything, but i always brought my own ppe as my old boss would only buy the cheapest ppe he could find. I think if you went to companies and said that you have your owm ppe and doing your tickets in jan you should find work quite easy.

PPE i you will need chainsaw boots and trousers, helmet with ear muffs and mesh shield, small first aid kit, chainsaw gloves.

Everyone has different preferences in kit but try before you buy if you can