Alvecote Wood Ancient Woodland at Threat

Pragma

7 hours ago, Khriss said:

Certainly also get a bat survey done ( or i can come up n do it in March) could enhance yr case on site protection. K

The developers have already done a bat survey, but it looks rather poor, e.g. complaining about one of their own recordings being poor quality. Huh? Why not do it again? I did a very brief bat check last summer and found Nathusius' Pipistrelle within about 10 minutes (as well as Common and Soprano P,. and Noctule) and the developers seem to have struggled to find much. I was in our Betty's Wood newly-planted area, immediately adjacent to the side of Alvecote Wood, and not far from a canal, so all that points at it being easier to find more bats.

The developers used a firm of ecological consultants, who approached us a few years ago asking for access to our woods to do a survey. We asked what it was for, and they refused to say, so we refused access! We thought it was to do with HS2, to be honest. Hence, the developers have put together a massive Environmental Statement but it all has a gaping big hole as there is no data for the only significant bit of habitat - our woods! They could have just asked us! We would have given them a lot of species data as my wife did a lot at collating that across multiple areas. For them to continue, with such a glaring omission, makes a bit of a mockery of their submission. It is even more bizarre as we approached them in 2017 and offered to cooperate. We didn't get a reply.

• Like 1

@Pragma well I can do another. To be truthful an Eco survey is only valid on the day you do it - they are ticking boxes for planning purposes. Sounds like you have good bat habitat potential on this site. Daubenton's possibly with a canal near. Won't be charging for this - as it's a protection matter. But you may have to put me up fr two days. As they mostly come at night...mostly....k

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Khriss said:

@Pragma well I can do another. To be truthful an Eco survey is only valid on the day you do it - they are ticking boxes for planning purposes. Sounds like you have good bat habitat potential on this site. Daubenton's possibly with a canal near. Won't be charging for this - as it's a protection matter. But you may have to put me up fr two days. As they mostly come at night...mostly....k

Yes, happy to chat about doing a survey. Thanks for the offer. I'm not sure what will happen re the Planners as I'd expect them to acknowledge that the Eco data that the developers have presented is woeful. The Planners may insist that the developers provide better data and we may then propose a local firm of consultants that are already working on our side of this. I'm having to pay them to get a detailed Eco response to what the developers have said, but there is a lot of it. Things are happening quite fast on that, now. My initial priority is to raise the profile and get as many people putting in objections, and in parallel with that, I have a meeting face-to-face with the Planners tomorrow with the hope that will lead on to a similar meeting with the developers shortly thereafter. I should know more after tomorrow.

@Pragma certainly having Protected species on yr site will load the gun against the developers and that Includes forage routes ! They cannot be obstructed as this falls into the wilful disturbance class. Obviously those guys want to make money selling houses which is fine. But woodland cannot be built and old woodland habitats Are irreplaceable. K

( if you have not already, get intouch with Bat Conservation Trust, they are helpful )

Edited by Khriss

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

@Pragma certainly having Protected species on yr site will load the gun against the developers and that Includes forage routes ! They cannot be obstructed as this falls into the wilful disturbance class. Obviously those guys want to make money selling houses which is fine. But woodland cannot be built and old woodland habitats Are irreplaceable. K

( if you have not already, get intouch with Bat Conservation Trust, they are helpful )

I'm a member of the Bat Conservation Trust, as it happens. Not had time to think about it, tbh. We did contact them years ago about doing a proper survey but never got any response. Perhaps they were hibernating ? I think part of the issue is that we are right in the northern tip of Warwickshire and near the southern tip of Staffordshire. Still something we need to pursue. Thanks for the reminder.

I am no expert in this topic, but my heart is one hundred percent with you !

just a few random thoughts,

am out of touch but years ago, great crested newts could be a factor in planning decisions!

your near a canal ? It all helps.

Another subject I know little of! —- internet ‘crowd funding’ ! This situation could get a lot of support, and funding ! A large ‘fighting fund would help immensely. Psychologically it would give you power and push back.

Also perhaps a compromise could be found ? If they moved the new houses way back from the road, planted a wide shelter belt along the road with a path for dog walkers it would reduce the ‘impact’ on the woodland. Visually, environmentally (predatory cats/dogs ect) and would enhance the area.

not least for the new houses. A good stout fence in there shelterbelt between path and road? Plus a bund on the new house side.

• Like 1

He's not your MP but it would be worth contacting Michael Fabricant: https://www.michael.fabricant.mp.co.uk/2019/01/23/michael-fabricant-introduces-legislation-to-protect-ancient-woodlands/

In addition the current standing advice specifically includes indirect impacts: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ancient-woodland-and-veteran-trees-protection-surveys-licences#assess-the-impacts

Woodland trust should also be of assistance. It's worth bearing in mind the cumulative effect on ancient woods in the midlands in the forthcoming decade or so from HS2 and developments like this.

G

• Like 1

The developers did survey for Great Crested Newts on the development land. We don't think we've got GCN on our land and we're rather happy about that as, if you do have them, Natural England can put all sorts of restrictions on what you can do in the vicinity of the ponds concerned. Our management work has always been more sympathetic across all species, 'cos that's what we're about, so having relatively simplistic restrictions placed on us would be counterproductive overall. Hence, we are happy to continue in the knowledge that we don't have GCN ?

Behind the scenes, I'm working on finding a compromise, through the Planners, and hopefully with the developers.

The 'public' side is a matter of building the profile in the minds of the Planners and councillors, and that hopefully encourages them to put more pressure on the developers to come to the table. We actually invited the developers to talk to us back in 2017, twice. We didn't get a reply.

Been in touch with the Woodland Trust, and I showed the local MP around the woods last week. The WT can't help, i think because there is a road between (some of) the development and our woods, and because they are plain busy on a heap of other stuff.

There are lots of strands to this.

Someone contacted me this morning re the BBC. Lots happening, and I'm running a business, too! Not enough hours in the day, not by a long way!

The RSPB also have a lot of experience in this type of problem, might be worth speaking to them.  I read recently about a large development where they worked very closely with the developers to ensure local wildlife is considered at every step.  Apparently hundreds of garden fences on this development have hedgehog highways running through them so the little guys can go about their business.

• Like 2