Non smart phone

dig-dug-dan

On 04/02/2019 at 22:51, benedmonds said:

my wife got a 3310, did not like it. txting was a pain after your used to a smart phone. 

What is wrong with having a smart phone?  You don't need a top end one and they can be pretty robust.. my samsung s7 is even waterproof apparently.

After a few too many I phoned someone from under water with my old Sony. I don't remember the call quality being great but that was probably just been the gin...

I bought an AGM M1 phone, because I was scared when the touchscreen on my smartphone was completely defeated by rain being on it. Out sawing and my wife rang to check I was ok in the weather, was totally unable to answer the call. Thought I would also be unable to dial 999.

The AGM is waterproof, has buttons and works like an old Nokia, battery life a couple of weeks on standby. Fine in the rain. Wouldn't want to go back to it as an only phone, but it's great for what it is.

"Ruggedised" smart phones can fit the bill if you want something with bells and whistles that won't shatter if it falls out of your hand, but that said, don't buy a Blackview BV7000...I did, and 3 months later it decided to wipe itself and hasn't functioned since. On the other hand,  a CAT B25 builder's phone dropped out of my truck in a near freezing 6 inch puddle for 15 hours, overnight, and still worked fine when raked out the next day

On 12/02/2019 at 20:46, Acerforestry said:

"Ruggedised" smart phones can fit the bill if you want something with bells and whistles that won't shatter if it falls out of your hand, but that said, don't buy a Blackview BV7000...I did, and 3 months later it decided to wipe itself and hasn't functioned since. On the other hand,  a CAT B25 builder's phone dropped out of my truck in a near freezing 6 inch puddle for 15 hours, overnight, and still worked fine when raked out the next day

Does tne cat phone have predictive text? So far, all the tough phones i have looked at none have predictive text!

On 04/02/2019 at 21:40, Domino said:

I have had a CAT S60 for a while now, and it's survived alot of abuse.  This phone is not in a case, it has a steel frame construction and a shatter proof (within reason) screen that can been used with wet hands or gloves. It also has a mega battery.  I highly recommend it.

:icon14:

Utterly crap camera though. I hated mine when I had one.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:08, Dan Maynard said:

I bought an AGM M1 phone, because I was scared when the touchscreen on my smartphone was completely defeated by rain being on it. Out sawing and my wife rang to check I was ok in the weather, was totally unable to answer the call. Thought I would also be unable to dial 999.

The AGM is waterproof, has buttons and works like an old Nokia, battery life a couple of weeks on standby. Fine in the rain. Wouldn't want to go back to it as an only phone, but it's great for what it is.

A number for you all to get to know is 112. If you have no signal it will search all other networks till it finds a signal and contacts the emergency services

42 minutes ago, headgroundsman said:

A number for you all to get to know is 112. If you have no signal it will search all other networks till it finds a signal and contacts the emergency services

In much the same way as 999 will.  Or have I missed something?

Just now, headgroundsman said:

No it seems it is me that was given duff info sorry

I believe 112 is indeed an alternative emergency contact number in the UK.  Back in the 90s I remember it being a huge problem for the emergency switchboards that they got thousands of accidental calls every day - in the days before screens automatically locked themselves - many were to 112 and the rest 999.

And the worst thing is that the operator could not just hang up, in case it was someone incapacitated in some way.  They had to listen for a good while in case someone managed to communicate that there is a real emergency.