New Truck Advice

Derakhte Mazda

Use a Grafter with the company I’m at. Can’t fault them in my opinion, tow a ST8 or a Tracked Jensen A540 and does it with ease.
Have also filled it to rafters with chip and still towed the ST8 and it managed okay.
Fuel economy is always gonna be shit but as already been mentioned that’s the beauty of what it’s being used for

some people above are saying cabstars dont carry the weight well ? well i tend to disagree with that, but you can make your own mind up on that one, had mine 14 years at the end of Feb and i can not fault it at all, carrys weight well and dont look over loaded pulls ifor 10ft tipper about most of the time and pulls what ever you put on it and what we put in the trailer, have been on a weigh bridge with pick up and trailer loaded with beech and sycamore but i dare,nt say what the weigh ticket said,,,,,

20180707_082741 (1).jpg

20181124_134141.jpg

• Like 1

some people above are saying cabstars dont carry the weight well ? well i tend to disagree with that, but you can make your own mind up on that one, had mine 14 years at the end of Feb and i can not fault it at all, carrys weight well and dont look over loaded pulls ifor 10ft tipper about most of the time and pulls what ever you put on it and what we put in the trailer, have been on a weigh bridge with pick up and trailer loaded with beech and sycamore but i dare,nt say what the weigh ticket said,,,,,
635262264_20180707_082741(1).thumb.jpg.16b3049aeaa3bc57c33f84397dc49967.jpg
20181124_134141.thumb.jpg.dda0c7b4e5055881b083f97c30019bcf.jpg

Nice rig
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

Echoing the words of others.... Grafter has a decent turning circle and is quite manoeuvrable for domestic type work. The one I've driven a fair bit requires constant attention to steering though. Bit like steering a ship perhaps.... Not sure if they're all like that though. It has a very bouncy ride, particularly effective if you want your passengers to nod off! And yes, quite thirsty but they all are when loaded to the hilt with chip and towing. But pretty reliable on the whole, and does the job. 

Spent a lot of years using a transit and still rate them, even though they get a bad press. 

I think the single wheeled transit and Cabstar GVW is rated lower then the twin wheeled versions.

Have found after driving single and twin wheeled Cabstar, that the twin wheeled version drive better.

Found that with the single rear wheel the truck did sway from side to side when the wood chip was loaded high.

Where did you have the body made for the sprinter. Looks very smart.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Al Cormack said:

Need to get it on a weighbridge to see what u Laden weight is, now the chip box has been built.

You're in a better position than many as Guildford has the only public weighbridge in Surrey and Sussex I think. Else you can always put a bit of scrap in it and weigh it in.

Just now, openspaceman said:

You're in a better position than many as Guildford has the only public weighbridge in Surrey and Sussex I think. Else you can always put a bit of scrap in it and weigh it in.

Colliers Environmental at Lyne will let you drive over their weighbridge . If you want a print out they charge £5

4 minutes ago, Al Cormack said:

Colliers Environmental at Lyne will let you drive over their weighbridge . If you want a print out they charge £5

Funnily I just looked and it doesn't look like the slyfield transfer station one is public any more.

I used to visit Don Collier when he was building a greyhound track there in the mid 70s.

• Like 1

I think the single wheeled transit and Cabstar GVW is rated lower then the twin wheeled versions.

Have found after driving single and twin wheeled Cabstar, that the twin wheeled version drive better.

Found that with the single rear wheel the truck did sway from side to side when the wood chip was loaded high.

Where did you have the body made for the sprinter. Looks very smart.

Yes the single wheeled cabstar is 3.4tonne and can only tow 2 tonne. Not sure about all transits but a newish twin wheeled transit I have driven will only tow 2 tonne.

My 3.4tonne cabstar has a payload of 1300kg so pretty decent.