New Truck Advice

Derakhte Mazda

9 hours ago, treevolution said:

I run a Cabstar and have done for 14 years.

Cheaper to buy new then a transit.

Tows well and can handle the weight.

Great turning circle and can fit into any drive.

Is tight for three guys in the cab but apart from that a great truck for tree work.

Did drive transits for the firm I started out with and they are good vans but the Cabstar just feels more like a truck.

Correct. Haven just taken delivery of my  new cabstar, before i purchased it, i looked seriously at the competition. Transits were off the list anyway. Worst payload, most expensive, easiest to steal with the master key you can buy online, amongst otner things. Isuzu dont do a double cab. Mitsubishi came a close second, but you cannot remove the rear seats, no bluetooth, no sat nav option, no lsd. 

This cabstar is the best i have had so far. Easy hill start, heated seats, satnav and camera, 3.5tonne towing, very comfortable.

There is a rumour they are stopping making it from august as it wont comply with eu emissions from 2020,  but its the same engine as navara, and thats still going.

There was mention of payload. The reason so many cherry picker companies use cabstars as that it has the biggest payload of the all, hence they can mount the steelwork for the picker safely and within limits

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a 64 reg Iveco daily, 146 bhp single cab, chip box and tool locker. Once the body and locker were on the payload is less than a ton. I think any 3.5 tonner with a decent chipbox will be significantly overloaded with a half full (or more) chipbox.

The advantage for me of the Iveco is the chassis is c section channel rather than thinner box section. Having throughly waxoyled the chassis and everything else before starting to use it I don't expect tinworm problems.

Turning circle is excellent, not as good as my mate's Izuzu though. Has a 7 ton train weight, so good for towing. Plenty of power,  but the clutch is woefully inadequate for reversing up slopes slowly or heavy hillstarts. Other than the clutch I rate it highly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I came off a weigh bridge the other day thinking I was going to get a ticket , I was surprised I was still 150kg under so I don’t think transits are as bad as they are made out... mines ancient as well done over 180k on original engine and never needed any welding , I have had ones that have fallen apart and left the rear chassis on the drive attached to the chipper at 7 years old !

I would definitely look at an Iveco next time though.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I read they have small pay loads is that correct?

All 3.5t vans/ trucks are limited to payload a transit will have at best 800k probably less depending on your truck body, grafters don’t rust like ford do but all commercial vans have a hard life it depends on how there looked after.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Correct. Haven just taken delivery of my  new cabstar, before i purchased it, i looked seriously at the competition. Transits were off the list anyway. Worst payload, most expensive, easiest to steal with the master key you can buy online, amongst otner things. Isuzu dont do a double cab. Mitsubishi came a close second, but you cannot remove the rear seats, no bluetooth, no sat nav option, no lsd. 

This cabstar is the best i have had so far. Easy hill start, heated seats, satnav and camera, 3.5tonne towing, very comfortable.

There is a rumour they are stopping making it from august as it wont comply with eu emissions from 2020,  but its the same engine as navara, and thats still going.

There was mention of payload. The reason so many cherry picker companies use cabstars as that it has the biggest payload of the all, hence they can mount the steelwork for the picker safely and within limits

Thanks, does that mean the cabstar won’t be driveable adtwr 2020 due to eu emissions? Even a brand new one?