Fuel saving gadgets??

I will always be sceptical until proven otherwise.  The independent tests would be interesting to read but there are no links to the complete data from their sites and snippets by a manufacturer can be misleading.

The pretty picture at the start rings alarm bells as it shows air coming in from below the fire, which when burning wood on a stove should be minimal.

• Like 1

Haha. Love the little video explaining that it reduces the airflow from underneath so saving fuel and prolonging the burn. Hmmm so less heat? As said I thought wood was supposed to be burnt with top air only and a bed of ash. Maybe this might work with solid fuel but looks like snake oil to these eyes 

• Like 1

I don't like the phrase "does not contain any chemicals", what does it contain then?

I'm also a bit confused as to how it works. I've converted my stove from multi-fuel to just wood, and that means taking out the grate.

I could see possible benefits if you just burn wood on a mutli-fuel stove, but you shouldn't be feeding in air from underneath once lit anyway.

Cheap enough to try though.

I suspect that if you could find the source data for the studies then the real picture may be found.  In the bits of cherry picked data given it is reducing the burn rate but also the fire temperature, no indication is given that there is any improvement in efficiency.  If you burn less fuel and you get less heat then I don't see what is gained.  I'd guess there is no proof of an efficiency improvement as that would be a key number to use in advertising if it existed.

You won't find me buying unless you can show an efficiency improvement.

Edit: A search for the papers quoted gets no hits on Google so no way to see what the independent reports in full.

Edited by Rob_the_Sparky
  • Like 1

I don't like the phrase "does not contain any chemicals", what does it contain then?

I'm also a bit confused as to how it works. I've converted my stove from multi-fuel to just wood, and that means taking out the grate.

I could see possible benefits if you just burn wood on a mutli-fuel stove, but you shouldn't be feeding in air from underneath once lit anyway.

Cheap enough to try though.

When you converted your stove, did you just literally take out the grate? Have you got any before and after photos as I’d be interested to do this as well.

Luckily my stove manufacturer had a conversion kit. I took out the old grate but needed new back and side fire bricks as they needed to be bigger. I also needed to fit a new log and catch bar (suitable for double doors) and plug the side riddle hole.

Here's a link to a video to a smaller stove: https://www.hunterstoves.co.uk/fitting-a-wood-conversion-kit-herald-5-slimline

Luckily my stove manufacturer had a conversion kit. I took out the old grate but needed new back and side fire bricks as they needed to be bigger. I also needed to fit a new log and catch bar (suitable for double doors) and plug the side riddle hole.

Here's a link to a video to a smaller stove: https://www.hunterstoves.co.uk/fitting-a-wood-conversion-kit-herald-5-slimline

Thanks

Wood burns from the top down,  you only use air from below when starting the fire from cold.   thus the device by the sound of it is no use at all in most real life situations unless burning solid fuel.   I suppose that might appeal to the boat boys,   but reducing the primary air flow will reduce the heat output and increase flue deposits and pollution into the atmosphere.

A

• Like 1