Monkey puzzle

Shiny steve

3 hours ago, Shiny steve said:

Hello, is there any interest in a bit of monkey puzzle in Kent. I'm bringing down a 35-40 ft tree about 18" diameter at base. 

Not sure if I'm going to plank it or ring it for turning blanks 

Turning blanks surely the way to go.  Unremarkable as boards - just knotty softwood, but I think turners may like it due to the symmetrical knots.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lord said:

Nobody really wants piranha pine.

doesnt last well outside. Pretty well useless 

Monkey Puzzle is the same family but not the same species from which parana pine comes. After the war it was used a lot for things like indoor cills and architraves, general shelving and stairs. It was mostly painted over but I remember it having a beautiful rosy flame like pattern. I imagine as baltic  timbers came back online it could no longer compete coming from south america.

8 hours ago, Shiny steve said:

Cheers chaps turning blanks was pretty much my decision, I just hate ringing up reasonable lengths of wood. 

Any local turner's about . . .

Depends what you call local.  Westerham is local to me, Ramsgate isn't!