Sanding

warren

When do i stop? Seem to have been at it for hours and still looks like it needs more.

This is cherry and I've gone to 150grit. Do i keep going til the marks are gone with the 150 or lower then use finer grit?

And around the knot ... will sanding polish the dull bits (end grain?) out or do i need to do something else?

Ta20190127_165925.jpeg.33e1ca643d25ade7249b462367c94357.jpeg20190127_165933.jpeg.c0416908620fa941813c1e7c648a07ff.jpeg

Depends on what you find acceptable, I personally switch to a scraper at this point, but many will tell you to go to 400 and some will suggest 600.  Hopefully you are damping the wood to raise the grain - sounds counter-intuitive but actually speeds the process up 
Tis is all very new to me. So no i wasn't dampening it .. tomorrow i will. Thank you.

If you apply too much pressure whilst sanding you can get heat checks with a lot of woods - that might have caused all those small cracks. Once they're there you almost certainly won't get rid of the by sanding.

What grit did you start at and how did you move up?
By the look of some of those marks you'll need to start at 80 or possibly go back to a gouge/scraper. When you can't see most of the marks move to 120, then 180. Then finer. Only move to the next grit when you can't see the marks from the sanding previous one.
Sorry if this is going over stuff you already know.

On 27/01/2019 at 17:10, warren said:

When do i stop? Seem to have been at it for hours and still looks like it needs more.

This is cherry and I've gone to 150grit. Do i keep going til the marks are gone with the 150 or lower then use finer grit?

And around the knot ... will sanding polish the dull bits (end grain?) out or do i need to do something else?

Ta20190127_165925.jpeg.33e1ca643d25ade7249b462367c94357.jpeg20190127_165933.jpeg.c0416908620fa941813c1e7c648a07ff.jpeg

more turning to get rid of the tearout is required here. ince any remaining tearout is gone then you can start on 100, 120, 150, 180, 240, and then 320 or 40 grit to finish.

by the way, i'm fairly sure that the timber is yew not cherry.