Jerry Can (20 litre ) For Chainsaw Filling Up At Petrol Stations

ANDYDMC

Never had issues with supermarket fuel. It tends to have a quicker turnover than say a rural independent. It’s bio percentage is not determined by being a supermarket or independent supplier. You’ll notice some unbranded/ non sign written lorries supply supermarkets and independents. Ive been told the lorries collect from the same refinery out of the same pipes.

I’ve always filled my 20 ltr Jerry cans without issues. Glad to see HSE suggest this is acceptable

• Like 1

As above, cheaper fuels contain slightly more bio than brand leaders do, hence the supermarket can offer it at a cheaper price.
I would avoid filling your arb vehicles etc with commercial diesel too for this reason i.e your rangers, navaras, hilux, L200 types as the bio content is even higher, and your DPF will not agree with it over time which will land you with a large bill. Using it in full commercial use trucks is a different story as thats what its designed for.

the rules with fuel are a bit OTT at the moment and i dont see them changing much, a garage dowm road from me that i have used for 30+ years was recently sold to M&S, a revamp took place and when it re-opened i went to fill truck and saw fuel cans when it came to the saw fuel pump would not work as they would not switch it on, then some one came to me and said the can has to be on the floor as you cant hold it up in the air just incase you spill petrol on yourself, at this garage i cant fill can and see how many ltrs i have put in can on pump screen, asked about this can on the floor at another local garage and was told fill it how you want as long as you pay for it,

• Like 1

You can fill a 20 liter capacity can with 20 litres and let Nanny pound sand. The whole idea is rediculous to me. Why 50 odd liters in your car tank but only (arbitrary number) in cans? It's government regulation for the sake of regulation, if people cow tow to this kind of thing it's a slow and steady path to mindlessly obedient serfdom.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

the rules with fuel are a bit OTT at the moment and i dont see them changing much, a garage dowm road from me that i have used for 30+ years was recently sold to M&S, a revamp took place and when it re-opened i went to fill truck and saw fuel cans when it came to the saw fuel pump would not work as they would not switch it on, then some one came to me and said the can has to be on the floor as you cant hold it up in the air just incase you spill petrol on yourself, at this garage i cant fill can and see how many ltrs i have put in can on pump screen, asked about this can on the floor at another local garage and was told fill it how you want as long as you pay for it,

Yeh I’ve had the same problem, I used to hold can and would get less sprayback by doing so. Then told the same h&s says it has to be on the floor. So now I make sure I use a pump they can’t see from the window...and that goes for filling a Jerry can. If they can’t see how do they know where you put it... in your car/can/floor or anywhere else.

H&s is to protect the stupid peeps, but we’re not all stupid, talk about discrimination.??.???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never had an issue with filling 20l jerries at a petrol station. When I worked at a petrol station in the past I would let people fill 50L barrels... just didn't tell the boss. I recently used a 2L water bottle to fill with diesel along with petrol for my car. As long as the thing isn't leaking or whatever then no reason why it can't be filled

A sale is a sale to most petrol stations... and what is the employee going to do once you have started filling a 20l can?

Second comment comes from a few days work I did at a facility where they filled the petrol tankers. The petrol is the same in a Shell, BP or plane white tanker at that location (and is to a British Standard), however each brand can specify different addatives and quantities added to the petrol - and this is added as it is pumped into the tanker. So each brand will have a different petrol mix but the base stuff is all the same. Often the addatives are propriety - Shell addative won't go into BP and vice versa, supermarkets won't have either and often have none.

Third comment, as a domestic user I use about 5 litres a year total in my chainsaws,hedge trimmers and lawn mower, when that can is getting low I just fill a second can up when I fill the car. I am guessing a domestic user will be fuelling the car more often than using 20l of chainsaw fuel.. so why not just get smaller quantities more often when you are in the petrol station anyway? Get smaller quantities and that limits how much petrol will go off.

Last comment is just my brain wondering, how many professionals use 20l of chainsaw fuel and not have to refuel a van or truck in that time and so require a special trip to the petrol station? Appreciate that on a business day it might make sense for professionals to have a large drum of fuel in the yard.

We often fill up 3 or four cans in our local garage for chainsaws and quadbikes. No issues with them and as we only use diesel for vehicles which we have our own tank for I don't see a way around it other picking up 5 litres every day of the week. :)

1 hour ago, Steven P said:

Last comment is just my brain wondering, how many professionals use 20l of chainsaw fuel and not have to refuel a van or truck in that time and so require a special trip to the petrol station? Appreciate that on a business day it might make sense for professionals to have a large drum of fuel in the yard.

For me it's not so much the saws but the processor. That will get through 18 litres in day. Be a right pain buying in any lesser quantities. I can easily put 5 litres through a saw in a day on my own so I imagine a team can get through the best part of 20 litres some days.