How to quote/find potential contracts

Conorjm10

Hi there, 

I have been away travelling for the past year around NZ and Norway and recently come home (Sunny Wigan) to set my own business up. I've got a transit, chipper, saws hedgetrimmers etc.. I am insured, got my tickets and just managing to fill a week or 2 ahead in my diary with half private work and half sub contracting to larger firms. I have mainly done private/residential work over the past 6 years in the UK but wanting to get more contract/commercial work or atleast tender for them. How do i go about pushing for more that line of work? Do i send emails out to the head offices? What are peoples experiences and is there any advice people can offer me? 

Thanks

Depends on what size commercial firms your wanting to work for? Small local house builders yeah send a letter to the boss, bigger firms you are going to need a raft of paperwork inc Cscs chas, or another SSIP and get to know the qs as it’s these guys that sorce contractors and do the deals, it’s not easy and not the gold mine many think it is, sure you can earn good money but be prepared for 45 day terms, and don’t say “well mine are 30” as they make the rules mostly, it’s not as easy as it sounds.

• Like 4

Thanks for the response, yes mainly aiming at smaller businesses.. It's very early days as of yet but id like to steer my business to get more commercial work as opposed to the relying on residential stuff. Im just looking for ways to get my foot in the door or hear how other companies go about it. 

Cheers :)

5 minutes ago, Ian C said:

Also be v careful with cash flow, it’s easy to get all excited at that 3 or 4K job but they can kill your cash flow!

I thought that earlier. When you say 45 days I presume you mean from when your invoice goes in, not from when you do the work?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I thought that earlier. When you say 45 days I presume you mean from when your invoice goes in, not from when you do the work?

Yes eggs from when invoice is sent to them and normally has to be in by a certain date in the month, miss that and wait another month. If your very lucky you may get your money in 45 days, but don't hold your breath. I'm on 30 days but sometimes it's nearer 90 days. I'm not too bad with the ones I work for as I can load price up to allow for the delay, but it does not help you sleep better.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, htb said:

Yes eggs from when invoice is sent to them and normally has to be in by a certain date in the month, miss that and wait another month. If your very lucky you may get your money in 45 days, but don't hold your breath. I'm on 30 days but sometimes it's nearer 90 days. I'm not too bad with the ones I work for as I can load price up to allow for the delay, but it does not help you sleep better.

Same, I'll be paid next week for work I did in December. Might get it this Friday if I'm lucky.

1 minute ago, john p said:

I start getting annoyed if it’s not within 7 days! I’m not cut out for commercial.

Neither am I, but beggars can't be choosers, well this beggar could but, I'm only on those terms with one company. Work this month, then send the invoice in at the end of the month, we'll pay you in 30 days. That said, they supply me with pumps and never rush me for payment. Swings n roundabouts, I guess.

• Like 1