GreenMech QuadTrak on Rail Trolley

PeteB

13 hours ago, Khriss said:

I would say track trolleys have weight limit that those chippers may exceede K

The Trolleys are rated for the task, this has been about a few years now, and simply does the job with the least amount of issues.

Anything Rail involves a level of compliance and rightly so, start involving larger kit, self propelled etc that can’t easily be recovered come any issues and it’s getting expensive real quick!

You will find that Rail won’t readily embrace any innovation, it’s just flood it with men mentality, they can always be packed up and sent elsewhere or home at worst. 

Having kit on the job and stood down for one piece of paper or some chancer who was supposed to travel half way around the country to supervise a shift, gets expensive real quick!

Eddie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do believe that there are specific ramps for this, the samexas there are specific ramps and infill sections for rubber tracked machines to cross from one side of the track to the other effortlessly.

12 hours ago, Rhys_Rad said:

Trollies have a max of 1t i believe.... Iv put a 150 timberwolf on and its felt like theres nothing om trailer

Yes they do and in one famous incident in the not so distant past someone took it upon themselves to lighten a chipper to get it under the weight.

The fact they took the covers off, all them spinning around bits caused Network Rail to have a sense of humour failure for some reason, and the whole possession got binned at great expense!

Rail work, you couldn’t buckrake £50 notes as fast into a silage clamp as they can waste it!

Eddie.

Edited by LGP Eddie
  • Haha 1

Roughly 14 years ago Fountains were using Wessex tracked chippers on the railway. They developed a jacking system to get over the loading problem. Once the chipper was in the 4 foot, insert the jacks, based on HGV trailer jacks, raise it then push the trolley under, and lower the chipper. They were a bit cumbersome, but did the job. 

Having ridden a bicycle on rails I can attest that the lack of friction (and steep inclines) means moving an arrangement like that by hand would be very easy.

Looks good. 

Mick, without wanting to “derail” [emoji85]this thread...Can I ask what you were doing riding a bike on rails? Funfair? Suicide?...
Cheers
I