GreenMech QuadTrak on Rail Trolley

PeteB

Here is a picture of a pair of GreenMech QuadTraks being used on rail trolleys and being pushed up the rails. Once on the trolleys, they can be tipped to get a more manageable height for the infeed with the side tip facility and the turntable facility comes in handy too. Novel use and well done for doing it! 

Railway-clearance.jpg

• Like 7

To have a motorised trolley is expensive, needs a trained and certified driver and is something else to be maintained and certified. A trolley however. Requires little training and is light and easy to ship yet easy to push along a smooth track rather than track a machine up a bumpy cess! Other kit can be loaded on the trolley if the unit is taken off!

Must admit i'm surprised they still allow it.

Spent many a sat nite pushing a jenson on trolleys, very easy to push even up hills, but i wouldn't say its very safe.

We usually had 1 pair for chipper and another pair for gear and genny/lights

Usually/can be a pig to load, have seen both the chipper tip over and trolleys fly up (ramps are on a ledge over the wheels) In fact i mind 1 shift boys hanging of the spout to keep chipper upright and others standing on far side of trooley to act as a conter balance.

That night the head H&S boy was there watching the fn and games and never said a word, the week before he put me of site (well back to van to get replacement) for having 1 mesh square out of visor broke, i complained so he put his pen throu it.

Also seen once when turning the chipper on the trolleys 1 of the trolleys rise over the other, was well dodgy as well up track so no way to fix it if chipper rolled

If the side pins were in it wouldn't have happened but never seen a squad yet put the side pins in, or even have side pins on the job

2 hours ago, josharb87 said:

I know it’ll be a rail thing, but the mind boggles to why they’re pushing a self propelled unit which even has a turntable!

stops any damage to infrastructure especially underground cables,,,,stop a signal working and the fine can be £1000s per hr for delayed trains

• Like 1

10 hours ago, josharb87 said:

I know it’ll be a rail thing, but the mind boggles to why they’re pushing a self propelled unit which even has a turntable!

Plus the odd time we've took chippers of the trolleys its quite easy to get them stuck trying to cross the rails esp in wet or frosty conditions the tracks just spin on the rails and won't climb up.

To be fair with a turntable u shouldn't have to  reposition it that much but there is often plenty of pnsticles on the track on bigger lines that u have to avoid

• Like 1