Jump to content
  • 0

Heave / subsidence from oak on clay soil


Hi all


I’m based in North West London (an area with shrinkable clay subsoil) and currently have an oak tree in my garden, approx 6/7 metres tall. 


I’d like to have this taken down eventually but am obviously concerned about the risk of not only subsidence but also heave. 


Could anyone recommend the best way to manage this to ensure ensure the safety of my property? I was thinking the best way would be to have the tree slowly reduced over a period of time before having the stump totally removed. 


Would this be the way forward, if so, how much and over what period? I was thinking taking it down in quarters over the next few years but one of the local tree surgeons suggested thirds every couple of months. 


I’d be grateful for any suggestions and also any companies in the Hillingdon area who could help. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0

It comes  down to "the right tree in the right place"   


If the house was built after the tree was growing, you could change that to locating the house (with appropriate  foundations) in the right place. 


As others have advised, engage a structural engineer, who will then work with an Arb' Consultant to advise on retention/ remedial pruning  to facilitate retention.


If the tree is subject to a TPO or conservation area, the Local Authority will also be involved, if any works are recommended to the tree.  


Not sure about when/if you should notify your house insurance company.


If it is recommended to fell the tree, then  plant a replacement,  "the right tree in the right place" to ensure your garden / locality retains (at a reduced level) the numerous benefits of a tree.


Use an Arborist to advise about a suitable tree.     


  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi there,.

You will not get a comprehensive clear answer to your question on this forum as a full investigation is needed.

You need pay for a report which will need  visits the site  taking measurements, soil samples, liaising with a structural engineer etc.

If you do this, find a company who has done such surveys before, and ask to see a copy of their professional indemnity insurance.

You should find someone on Arbtalk willing to do this. It should be done properly so it will be expensive.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Featured Adverts


Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.