Replacing trailer floor

MAPLE LEAF

I've used Phenolic and it didn't seem to last as long as I expected.

Currently using creosoted shuttering ply (cheap) and long term plan to use 12mm marine ply coated in resin mix to waterproof and then decking it in 3mm chq/plate with plenty of silicone to keep the water.

It won't last forever but hopefully more than the 2 to 3 years I get from everything else.

Saying that....careful loading would've helped.

I did mine last year (8x5) and the main problem is you can find all sorts of materials but very few in a single 8x5 sheet and I didn't want a join in the middle of the floor to catch things.

So eventually I got a sheet of Buffalo board (phenolic resin) from a builders merchant but I had to get a 10x5 sheet and cut it to fit.

You can find all sorts of big sheets online but the delivery just kills it as couriers wont take that size of sheet.

I painted all the edges of the new sheet and strengthened one of the crossmembers that was bending, looks tidy now but I hate throwing stones into it, I have to place them carefully.

5 hours ago, MAPLE LEAF said:

I have a 8x6 Ivor Williams trailer with a wooden floor which is on its way out.

Has anyone replaced them and is it a straight forward job.

Also if anyone can recommend where to get the flooring from I’m looking for genuine Ivor William floor.

Im in Dorset.

I've used old scaffolding boards in the past, handy as if you bust one it's an easy replacement. Quite like the old school look too. 

Buffalo board like others have said. Any big civil Engineering concreting jobs going on near you ?? as it's often used for shuttering and then dumped.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kevm said:

I did mine last year (8x5) and the main problem is you can find all sorts of materials but very few in a single 8x5 sheet and I didn't want a join in the middle of the floor to catch things.

So eventually I got a sheet of Buffalo board (phenolic resin) from a builders merchant but I had to get a 10x5 sheet and cut it to fit.

You can find all sorts of big sheets online but the delivery just kills it as couriers wont take that size of sheet.

I painted all the edges of the new sheet and strengthened one of the crossmembers that was bending, looks tidy now but I hate throwing stones into it, I have to place them carefully.

You are dead right 8x5 is an odd shape and not one of the regular DIY sizes. my Ifor is 12x 6 and so all 8x4's are cut, but if I use two layers I can cross bond the sheets. I would have though (with a bit of pre-thought) you could do the same with 6x3's.

There will be wastage, but if you are careful that can be saved for other job/repairs.

that's how I try and rationalise it.