Testing on chainsaw trousers

stihlmadasever

Just look at the numbers.

Chainsaws kecks are supposed to be good to 22m/s chain speed IIRC

Most of the saws a pro user has in their arsenal have chain speeds quicker than the protective rating of trousers.

What do people expect?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Any of you guys actually had a saw do the above and tested out your ppe whilst on a job? Hopefully you haven’t gone as deep or even had serious injury of course!

Once dismantling an oak in blizzard iconditions with a 460 on a 25” bar the wind was blowing saw dust straight back under my visor so I was sort of doing a cut virtually blind... I think I had dropped down in to a crutch to give my feet a rest off the spikes so was in a bad position too... the only thing that made me stop cutting was feeling snow on my leg as the 460 was eating the trousers and pulling them up my leg and was just throwing the Kevlar out the back that I also noticed with my squinty eyes .. I think I had also misjudged how baggy the trousers where and had maybe pinned them selfs a bit higher than my actual knee was but basically that saw would of just carried on cutting regardless... tbh I was glad it was snowing after that.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MattyF said:

Once dismantling an oak in blizzard iconditions with a 460 on a 25” bar the wind was blowing saw dust straight back under my visor so I was sort of doing a cut virtually blind... I think I had dropped down in to a crutch to give my feet a rest off the spikes so was in a bad position too... the only thing that made me stop cutting was feeling snow on my leg as the 460 was eating the trousers and pulling them up my leg and was just throwing the Kevlar out the back that I also noticed with my squinty eyes .. I think I had also misjudged how baggy the trousers where and had maybe pinned them selfs a bit higher than my actual knee was but basically that saw would of just carried on cutting regardless... tbh I was glad it was snowing after that.

Odd that. Every saw/trouser contact I've ever seen or had has clogged the saw by jamming the nose sprocket pretty damned quick and then stalling the saw. 

Just my own experience 

• Like 1