Grab for sub 3 ton digger?

benedmonds

I know this has been covered and mentioned in the "show us your arb digger" thread and I thats where I got the idea but can I have a simple recommendation.

I am not ready to invest in a digger but my local firm can hire a 3 ton Zero Tail Swing Mini Digger (Bobcat or Kubota) for £285 for the week.

However they do not have shears or grabs...    

What should I buy (or does anyone hire) that will easily fit so I can use on a hire machine..? 

The job I have in mind is 2-3 weeks worth of clearing small hawthorn. Ideally it could feed our 10 inch chipper, but even just moving to the chipper would be helpful.

A couple of my staff are apparently OK operators... 

You’d really want a digger with two sets of auxiliary lines if your hiring in as can’t see you messing about with pipework if you want something that’ll rotate as well as grab/cut. Think approved hire them for about £300-400/week depending. I’m after a shear myself for the odd job but couldn’t stomach £4000 to have lying round the yard most the time when I’ve got a grab anyway.

Shame there’s no Arbtalk machinery ring! Shear and a stump grinder head would be handy but luxury really for the odd thing here and there.

So a search found approvedhydraulics and they do a hire with intent to buy option which looks good.. 

https://www.approvedhydraulics.co.uk/collections/grab-attachment-hire

So could I fit a: 

TG - 16S Log Grab 

TG - 16SR4 Log Grab

or

could I go with Tiger Cut 210E Tree Shears.  Will they work as a grab as well as a shear? or do they neede a bigger digger... 

(no one answered my call at approved hydraulics....)

Edited by benedmonds

I’d go with an Intermercato TG16 Pro SR5, with rotator.

Have the 6 way valve fitted which will allow it to be used from a single circuit, as still many hire companies won’t take machines with two auxiliary circuits.

To activate the valve you just need a 12v supply and switch.

Some just disconnect the horn and use this as it’s already on the levers, but could lead to trouble come an accident.

Otherwise rig your own foot pedal and power lead that goes in the power socket to power it.

Foot pedals are dirt cheap and makes for easy operation.

Just some cable ties on the power lead up the boom and down the dipper to the 6 way valve will do the trick.

With this setup you’re good to go with Hired machines and have a sought after item for resale, or keep it for the inevitable machine purchase you know will come after!

As for a Shear, TMK200, good Shears, and spec it with the bigger cylinder that requires less pressure, so virtually anything will power it.

Auxiliary line pressure is the main cause of poor shear performance, and is something many never get checked or optimised.

Again no issues moving TMK 200’s on.

Plenty out there, worth a punt on Arbtrader for Grab/Shear to Hire, maybe even a full setup could be available?

Eddie.

11 minutes ago, LGP Eddie said:

With this setup you’re good to go with Hired machines and have a sought after item for resale, or keep it for the inevitable machine purchase you know will come after!

Cheers eddie, that was kind of my reasoning... Found another local firm doing 3ton bobcat for £220 a week,

but no grab or shear, they  are happy to let me fit our own. But I would probably only afford a grab..

I have also found a hire company that will do a 3Ton Excavator with Tilt hitch (goes left to right also) £320 per Week

Tree Sheer to fit 3 Ton Machine £220 plus vat per week. This would have the benefit of definitely working.

I guess it depends on the type of work but is a shear much better then a grab or is a man and saw cutting and grab moving the waste efficient? This particular job is lots of small material..

5 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

Cheers eddie, that was kind of my reasoning... Found another local firm doing 3ton bobcat for £220 a week,

but no grab or shear, they  are happy to let me fit our own. But I would probably only afford a grab..

I have also found a hire company that will do a 3Ton Excavator with Tilt hitch (goes left to right also) £320 per Week

Tree Sheer to fit 3 Ton Machine £220 plus vat per week. This would have the benefit of definitely working.

I guess it depends on the type of work but is a shear much better then a grab or is a man and saw cutting and grab moving the waste efficient? This particular job is lots of small material..

That size of machine, go with a grab, then get TMK to Demo the Shear whilst you have the machine.

From nothing to a 3 tonner and fixed mount grab is going to move things up a gear or two.

Eddie.

Fixed mount grab is one that utilises a head bracket on the top of the rotator, usually picked up by the quick hitch, so the Bucket Ram comes into play when moving material.

Swinging grab, is hung via a link as in most Forestry cranes, and is free to swing, and the Bucket Ram has no influence.

A Grapple isn’t a grab in these terms, that utilises the bucket ram for opening and closing, not an auxiliary circuit. 

Eddie.