Land Cruiser knowledge

IronMike

Morning all.

I’ll be placing my Logbullet order very soon, and subsequently I’ll need a tow vehicle for it. After speaking to a few folk and doing a bit of research myself, ive decided that a Land Cruiser Amazon is the best option for me. Nice big V8 diesel, comfy to ride about in whilst towing, and Toyota reliability.

My budget is around 10k, and I’ve got a fair few examples saved on my Autotrader, eBay and Gumtree accounts that I like to perv over on a regular basis.

I was wondering if there are any Land Cruiser owners out there (past and present) who could share any tips/experiences when buying and owning one of these beasts? 

Service history, timing belt change, overall condition are obvious ones to check. But is there anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Superb vehicles.
Reliability is fantastic and they are very durable. If it’s a work horse I wouldn’t be put off by high miles if it’s just been used as a car. Hard to go wrong with them imo.
The patrol also got a mention. That two is an epic vehicle. I believe 4wd is selectable so you can get more economy using it in rear wheel drive when you don’t need extra traction.
I always want to like landrover because of the heritage but ( and I’ve had 3) they don’t come close to being as good as the Toyota as an all over package of use and ownership.
  • Like 2

It does slightly surprise me how much defender knocking goes on, because I’ve had my 300tdi hi cap for 10 years now pulling a 3 ton digger on a nearly daily basis. Original engine,gearbox and axles etc and really when things go wrong it’s usually A) a cheap aftermarket part fitted or B) usual wear items like brakes.

I think there’s drivers and drivers, some are sympathetic and others aren’t.

Not many vehicles will do 10 years work and still be worth what you paid for it either! They’re just not a vehicle for long journeys!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

It does slightly surprise me how much defender knocking goes on, because I’ve had my 300tdi hi cap for 10 years now pulling a 3 ton digger on a nearly daily basis. Original engine,gearbox and axles etc and really when things go wrong it’s usually A) a cheap aftermarket part fitted or B) usual wear items like brakes.

Not many vehicles will do 10 years work and still be worth what you paid for it either! They’re just not a vehicle for long journeys!

Driven my defenders the same as all my other vehicles, had brand new and old. Always been shit at most things. Great fun though and wouldn’t want to be without one, just not as a work/drive everyday truck. Fancy building one up from galv chassis with top spec parts but will have to wait for lottery win and retirement for that. Current defender done about 1000 miles in 3 years and cost me about £2000 and days of working on it, there’s Lamborghinis cheaper to run than £2/mile ?

• Haha 1

That's good to hear. I think also with Ladies there are alot of cobbled together ones with various engines/ chassis/ gearboxes or body changes which means there are often underlying issues with them.

I like how they look and that they were/ are British made , but having had quite a few mates with them who seem to be constantly fettling them or with issues I'd not spend money on one. Not when for the same money you can get a Toyota.

But then I've only had old merc trucks, VW's and Toyota for years, so I cant like for Like compare. They old hiluxes really seem to last well, e.g I bought a 96 hilux in March and I've done a uj and exhaust gasket in 10k miles, often loaded to the hilt and with trailer/ chipper

5 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

Driven my defenders the same as all my other vehicles, had brand new and old. Always been shit at most things. Great fun though and wouldn’t want to be without one, just not as a work/drive everyday truck. Fancy building one up from galv chassis with top spec parts but will have to wait for lottery win and retirement for that. Current defender done about 1000 miles in 3 years and cost me about £2000 and days of working on it, there’s Lamborghinis cheaper to run than £2/mile ?

Yeah, some do seem better than others, perhaps with anything hand assembled in the factory the quality control isn’t consistent,  the worse thing for any vehicle IMO is either little use or short trips, defenders usually do the latter so that might be a factor too.

Any way, Seems like quite a few 3.5t tow vehicles to be had for not much, Jeep grand Cherokee, VW Toureg and Range Rover- can’t think the OP would go far wrong with any of them...

Any tips or wise words of wisdom on what box to go for? The vast majority are automatic but there is a manual that's not too far away from me that would be worth a wee look at as I reckon I could get the price down a little with paying cash. 
Auto is harder on fuel but may be more comfortable overall, plus theres no clutch to burn out! Myself, I'd be looking for a manual, you feel more in control, especially going downhill with waaay too much weight on the trailer, not that I would do such a thing of course..
Its probably mostly down to personal preference.
Never heard of any major issues with either one.
  • Like 1

I agree the automatic is foolproof,

BUT, get properly pissed off by those who presume(because of the limitations of their own driving skills) that clutches are a disposable item, and are expected to burn out.

I beg to differ.

With 253,000 miles on an origonal clutch in a remapped 1.9 TDI VW, that was both heavily used in an urban environment and also used for towing during a self build house build and annual camping holidays.

That was still 100% good when parked up, i.e. zero signs of slippage or failure.

And had larned 2 weans to drive forby.

P.S.

Land Rovers et. al. got a low box, use it when reversing.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1