Land Cruiser knowledge

IronMike

I agree the automatic is foolproof,
BUT, get properly pissed off by those who presume(because of the limitations of their own driving skills) that clutches are a disposable item, and are expected to burn out.
I beg to differ.
With 253,000 miles on an origonal clutch in a remapped 1.9 TDI VW, that was both heavily used in an urban environment and also used for towing during a self build house build and annual camping holidays.
That was still 100% good when parked up, i.e. zero signs of slippage or failure.
And had larned 2 weans to drive forby.
P.S.
Land Rovers et. al. got a low box, use it when reversing.
243000 on my hilux before a clutch change, so not far behind you! To be honest I was surprised when we discovered it was an original Toyota part, was sure it would have been changed before then, given it's life..
first owner towed welding gear and an ex 30 and a lot of steel etc.. I towed a compact tractor, 3ton digger, 14ft ifor Williams and an array of different loads, 320000 on it now and flying... well, it's a hilux, so flying slowly..
I have seen some clutches pack up well before 100k. Unless you know who drove it before you, and can make a judgement of condition based on their driving style, expect it to be worn, that would be my attitude..
  • Like 1

It's a bloody awkward situation really. 

Spend more on a Landcruiser, and hopefully reap the rewards. 

Or go less on something else, and take the risks. 
...Probably end up spending the same either way! Just less downtime with the amazon, hopefully. There is no guarantees really, you could end up with a fantastic range rover that never gives a days trouble (unlikely imo) or a nail of a landcruiser, (possible with any brand, less so with a cared for example) any second hand machine is a gamble to some degree.. Toyota being less of a gamble than land rover imo.

I’d be wary of buying anything that’s going to be an integral part of your new business second hand, particularly throwing strong money at it. Ok if you spend 3 or 4 k on something to get you going - it’s almost disposable then and would leave enough in the kitty to fix/quickly replace if necessary.

If you are set on spending a decent lump on a tow vehicle then why not use it as a big deposit towards a brand new truck? I’ve got a new Navara that will do everything those Land Cruisers will, it is relatively economical in comparison, has a 5 year warranty, and can be bought for around £20k. 

I’m not crazy about finance and tend to buy stuff outright, but I’m also nervous of you spending everything on a kool looking setup and struggling to meet massive unexpected bills that have a habit of cropping up out of nowhere.

And before the Toyota lovers start bleeting on about how they never break, I can assure you from personal experience that they do just as much as any other make on the roads, and tend to be very expensive to fix...

• Like 1

I can only go secondhand unfortunately.... Poor choices made in the past mean no bank or finance company will tocuh me with regards to credit. 

I've only made a few bad decisions with vehicles over the years. So I'm hoping the tow truck I pick will be a good one. Still edging towards a Landcruiser for the most part, but looking at Shoguns etc too now as you get a lot of truck for your money. 

1 minute ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’d be wary of buying anything that’s going to be an integral part of your new business second hand, particularly throwing strong money at it. Ok if you spend 3 or 4 k on something to get you going - it’s almost disposable then and would leave enough in the kitty to fix/quickly replace if necessary.

If you are set on spending a decent lump on a tow vehicle then why not use it as a big deposit towards a brand new truck? I’ve got a new Navara that will do everything those Land Cruisers will, it is relatively economical in comparison, has a 5 year warranty, and can be bought for around £20k. 

I’m not crazy about finance and tend to buy stuff outright, but I’m also nervous of you spending everything on a kool looking setup and struggling to meet massive unexpected bills that have a habit of cropping up out of nowhere.

And before the Toyota lovers start bleeting on about how they never break, I can assure you from personal experience that they do just as much as any other make on the roads, and tend to be very expensive to fix...

Have to agree, parts are expensive! Constants on the hilux are ball joints and crosses on the drive shafts.. however it has never let me down on the road in a cloud of steam, had the door fall off, failed to start in the morning, let rain in, damaged my spine, splattered oil all about the place like a tomcat marking it's territory, turned the wipers on when I braked etc etc, as my defender did.

Bleat bleat bleat Toyota bleat bleat!!

I can only go secondhand unfortunately.... Poor choices made in the past mean no bank or finance company will tocuh me with regards to credit. 

I've only made a few bad decisions with vehicles over the years. So I'm hoping the tow truck I pick will be a good one. Still edging towards a Landcruiser for the most part, but looking at Shoguns etc too now as you get a lot of truck for your money. 

Hi Mike,

Is there any wiggle room with spending on forwarder? Eg. Use some more of your collateral on towing vehicle. It’s no good having the dogs b****x of a forest machine if you keep braking down/have towing problems getting to site?!
Cheers
I