Land Cruiser knowledge

IronMike

3 minutes ago, IronMike said:

I keep looking at Range Rovers...... ?

noooo! stop that!

Had the pleasure of driving a discovery 4? for a while before christmas, nice to drive but not enjoyable to tow,was pulling a 16ft tri axle graham edwards with logs, mewp and minidigger (not all at the same time!) and really didnt like the feel of it loaded, auto sdv6, this one. https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/land-rover-discovery/20554865

Ordinary landcruiser perhaps? they pull well too. not too gone on pajero, navara etc myself, but plenty of people have them and like them, for pulling power you will not beat the amazon, nor for comfort while doing so.

just charge mileage for towing to site and there go your fuel consumption issues!

Patrols dont seem to last as long... or maybe there never was as many of them about to begin with..

• Haha 1

Yank pickup? F250 or even 350 series stuff, big v8 and will tow silly weights in America so down weighted to 3.5t in the uk.
i have a old Ford Explorer 4x4 sat on the drive 4.0 v6 petrol, need to check its towing limits, sounds ace,full leather. air con etc paid £300 as a mot fail.

• Like 1

noooo! stop that!
Had the pleasure of driving a discovery 4? for a while before christmas, nice to drive but not enjoyable to tow,was pulling a 16ft tri axle graham edwards with logs, mewp and minidigger (not all at the same time!) and really didnt like the feel of it loaded, auto sdv6, this one. https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/land-rover-discovery/20554865
Ordinary landcruiser perhaps? they pull well too. not too gone on pajero, navara etc myself, but plenty of people have them and like them, for pulling power you will not beat the amazon, nor for comfort while doing so.
just charge mileage for towing to site and there go your fuel consumption issues!
Patrols dont seem to last as long... or maybe there never was as many of them about to begin with..

3 litre land cruisers aren’t rated for the 3500kg towing, my 03 is 2750 and newer models go to 3000kg. Remapped mine during the summer to 190hp and it pulls like a hoor at a stag party! I do remember an Amazon being used to move a 5ton digger on the cashel bypass regularly over 3 years in the mid 00’s and the trailer gave up before the cruiser, think that man still has that cruiser on the road...
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

A mate of mine uses new jeeps for all his towing. He is a plant contractor, and lets say, "old school", regards rules and regs. He has had troopers, disco 2, 3 and 4s and has killed them all in one way or another. The only thing that has stood up to his testing are the jeeps. Might be worth a look. Mercedes engine and box, so good and strong.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-61-JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-3-0-V6-CRD-LIMITED-5D-AUTO-237-BHP-DIESEL/202563745494?hash=item2f29bd76d6:g:pCoAAOSw5wFcFbQx:rk:6:pf:0

Edited by woodwizzard
  • Like 3

I wouldn't worry too much about fuel economy. My sprinter 4x4, fully loaded with tools and fuel, towing for some of the tank, off road for some of the tank and zipping through back roads to and from site on mud terrains has done 16mpg on this last tank. Given that it's a short commute, it's working out at less than a tenner a day, so you have to think that reliability and functionality are more important. Fuel is a a tiny cost compared to lost production.

• Like 6

I may sound like a stuck record here but Range Rover petrol v8 every time for me, beats anything I’ve had for towing/off road etc on comfort, ease, parts, real cost of ownership. Beats 90,110, navara, hi lux and Isuzu’s I’ve had hands down. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LeeGray said:

I may sound like a stuck record here but Range Rover petrol v8 every time for me, beats anything I’ve had for towing/off road etc on comfort, ease, parts, real cost of ownership. Beats 90,110, navara, hi lux and Isuzu’s I’ve had hands down. 

Miss mine- glad I ain't got workshop as there would be one in it getting done up. K